Monday, September 23, 2019 — Houston, TX 77°

Rice offers financial assistance to those affected by government shutdown

By Anna Ta     1/29/19 10:51pm

Rice University implemented plans to financially accommodate employees and students in the wake of the 35-day partial federal government shutdown.

Students who were financially affected by the shutdown may request an extension on their student account bill payment from the cashier’s office, which will coordinate with them to create payment plans, according to the cashier’s office’s website.

Joan Nelson, Rice’s associate vice president for human resources, sent an email to all employees informing them of the creation of a temporary financial assistance program. 

Benefits-eligible faculty and staff with affected partners or spouses may apply for a zero-interest loan up to $2,500 to alleviate immediate financial issues. Qualifying expenses include bills and rent or mortgage payments.

“The government shutdown has had a major impact on our country and has affected members of the Rice University community,” Nelson wrote. “In order for our community to be successful, we must care for every member.”

Loans will be repaid through payroll deductions over four pay periods beginning after the government has been reopened for 30 days.

The email also included a comprehensive list of resources compiled by the human resources office, including locations providing free meals and bank policies to those affected by the government shutdown.

H&D expands trash collection system change

Housing & Dining has implemented a trash collection system in the South Colleges that requires students to remove their own trash from their rooms, expanding a system that was already in place in North Colleges, according to H&D’s operations directors Beth Leaver and Brad Thacker.

Handshake to replace Rice Job Board

Handshake, a national career database for students, is replacing the online Rice Job Board and changing the hiring process for campus-wide jobs and internships. However, the work-study jobs posted on the old Job Board have yet to be transferred onto Handshake.