Friday, February 28, 2020 — Houston, TX 49°

Rice offers financial assistance to those affected by government shutdown

By Anna Ta     1/29/19 10:51pm

Rice University implemented plans to financially accommodate employees and students in the wake of the 35-day partial federal government shutdown.

Students who were financially affected by the shutdown may request an extension on their student account bill payment from the cashier’s office, which will coordinate with them to create payment plans, according to the cashier’s office’s website.

Joan Nelson, Rice’s associate vice president for human resources, sent an email to all employees informing them of the creation of a temporary financial assistance program. 

Benefits-eligible faculty and staff with affected partners or spouses may apply for a zero-interest loan up to $2,500 to alleviate immediate financial issues. Qualifying expenses include bills and rent or mortgage payments.

“The government shutdown has had a major impact on our country and has affected members of the Rice University community,” Nelson wrote. “In order for our community to be successful, we must care for every member.”

Loans will be repaid through payroll deductions over four pay periods beginning after the government has been reopened for 30 days.

The email also included a comprehensive list of resources compiled by the human resources office, including locations providing free meals and bank policies to those affected by the government shutdown.

College elections plagued by errors and violations

Spring elections at the residential colleges came with a myriad of problems this year, following the implementation of OwlNest voting at some colleges. Tabulation errors of ranked-choice voting by OwlNest have pushed Will Rice College’s secretary race to the its college’s court. Although Jones College continued with Qualtrics, similar problems have led to a re-election for the positions of internal vice president and treasurer.

On-campus primary polling location moved off campus

Student groups are expressing concerns over the lack of an on-campus polling location for the upcoming March 3 primary election. These concerns follow a decision by county party officials to not hold a polling location at Rice due to accessibility concerns for non-Rice voters.