Friday, August 23, 2019 — Houston, TX 80°

Early decision application pool rises 39 percent

early-admission-info-graphic

By Anna Ta     1/8/19 10:32pm

This year’s applicant pool for early decision grew 39 percent from last year to a total of 2,628, according to Yvonne Romero da Silva, vice president for enrollment. The Office of Admissions accepted 408 applicants, making the admission rate roughly 15.5 percent.

Romero da Silva said some of the increase can be attributed to The Rice Investment, which  increases aid to low and middle income families and makes the amount of expected financial aid more transparent.

Last year, the applicant pool increased by 18 percent. Romero da Silva said she expects the trend of increasing applications to continue.

“I am absolutely thrilled with the growing interest in Rice,” Romero da Silva wrote. “The more students, families and high school counselors know about the incredible faculty, community and resources Rice provides, the more I expect interest in Rice will continue to grow.” 

Best and Worst of: Lollapalooza 2019

While attending the four-day festival was enough to give us some pretty persistent post-concert depression (not to mention legs of steel and black festival snot for days), there were some parts that we won’t really miss — like the canned water and soul-sucking L trip back to our Airbnb. While not all aspects of Lollapalooza may have been worth storming the fence for, there were certainly many that left a lasting impression, and reasons that Lollapalooza stood out as a festival to remember.