Monday, January 25, 2021 — Houston, TX 46°

Early decision application pool rises 39 percent

early-admission-info-graphic

By Anna Ta     1/8/19 10:32pm

This year’s applicant pool for early decision grew 39 percent from last year to a total of 2,628, according to Yvonne Romero da Silva, vice president for enrollment. The Office of Admissions accepted 408 applicants, making the admission rate roughly 15.5 percent.

Romero da Silva said some of the increase can be attributed to The Rice Investment, which  increases aid to low and middle income families and makes the amount of expected financial aid more transparent.

Last year, the applicant pool increased by 18 percent. Romero da Silva said she expects the trend of increasing applications to continue.

“I am absolutely thrilled with the growing interest in Rice,” Romero da Silva wrote. “The more students, families and high school counselors know about the incredible faculty, community and resources Rice provides, the more I expect interest in Rice will continue to grow.” 

Students cannot return to campus and all classes are remote until Feb 15

Undergraduate students will not be able to return to campus until Feb 15, according to an email from President David Leebron sent out this morning. The email also states that all classes this semester will begin in an online format and that Rice will move to Research Stage 2 in which essential on-campus research will be able to continue but with added safety protocols.