Monday, November 29, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Early decision application pool rises 39 percent

early-admission-info-graphic

By Anna Ta     1/8/19 10:32pm

This year’s applicant pool for early decision grew 39 percent from last year to a total of 2,628, according to Yvonne Romero da Silva, vice president for enrollment. The Office of Admissions accepted 408 applicants, making the admission rate roughly 15.5 percent.

Romero da Silva said some of the increase can be attributed to The Rice Investment, which  increases aid to low and middle income families and makes the amount of expected financial aid more transparent.

Last year, the applicant pool increased by 18 percent. Romero da Silva said she expects the trend of increasing applications to continue.

“I am absolutely thrilled with the growing interest in Rice,” Romero da Silva wrote. “The more students, families and high school counselors know about the incredible faculty, community and resources Rice provides, the more I expect interest in Rice will continue to grow.” 

Forbes wins regionals, Women’s XC qualifies for NCAAs

Sophomore distance runner Grace Forbes followed up her conference title with a first-place finish at the NCAA South-Central Cross Country Regional on Friday in Waco, TX, helping the Rice women’s team to a second place finish. The result earned them a spot in this Saturday’s NCAA championships for just the seventh time in program history. 

Students introduce resolution at SA Senate to relocate WMR statue

Students demanded that Rice University remove William Marsh Rice’s statue from the Central Academic Quadrangle to a new, non-prominent location by the end of this academic year, during the Nov. 15 Student Association Senate meeting. The SA will vote on the resolution Nov. 29, according to SA President Kendall Vining.