Monday, December 05, 2022 — Houston, TX

Early decision application pool rises 39 percent

early-admission-info-graphic

By Anna Ta     1/8/19 10:32pm

This year’s applicant pool for early decision grew 39 percent from last year to a total of 2,628, according to Yvonne Romero da Silva, vice president for enrollment. The Office of Admissions accepted 408 applicants, making the admission rate roughly 15.5 percent.

Romero da Silva said some of the increase can be attributed to The Rice Investment, which  increases aid to low and middle income families and makes the amount of expected financial aid more transparent.

Last year, the applicant pool increased by 18 percent. Romero da Silva said she expects the trend of increasing applications to continue.

“I am absolutely thrilled with the growing interest in Rice,” Romero da Silva wrote. “The more students, families and high school counselors know about the incredible faculty, community and resources Rice provides, the more I expect interest in Rice will continue to grow.” 

SPECIAL PROJECTS 11/30/22 12:00am
Special Project: Abortion through the ages

The Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade in June, ending 50 years of constitutional protections for abortion in the United States. Abortion in Texas is now illegal in almost all cases. Students at Rice sought abortions before Roe, during its reign and will continue in the wake of Roe’s fall. The Thresher talked to alumni from the 1950s through the 2010s to build a timeline of relationships, sex and abortion at Rice.

‘Flipping over the rock’: Remembering the fight against sexual violence

Three years ago, the Rice campus was enveloped by protests and discussions over the state of the university’s sexual assault policies. Partially lost to the mists of time and overshadowed by the pandemic a few months later, these protests are largely unknown to today’s student body after the numerous social disruptions these last few years have seen.

Writer Anna Meriano talks youth literature, community

Since facing her first bout of writer’s block when scribbling down a story in kindergarten, Anna Meriano said she knew she wanted to be a writer. A Martel College (‘13) alumna, Meriano has watched those childhood dreams come to life as a middle-grade and young adult author published by HarperCollins and Penguin Random House. After writing fantasy stories about a family of brujas running a fictional Texas bakery and tales of girls finding belonging on their local quadball team, Meriano understands the power of children’s literature in shaping youth perspectives and works to share diverse stories of family, adolescence and friendship.