Sunday, August 09, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Early decision application pool rises 39 percent

early-admission-info-graphic

By Anna Ta     1/8/19 10:32pm

This year’s applicant pool for early decision grew 39 percent from last year to a total of 2,628, according to Yvonne Romero da Silva, vice president for enrollment. The Office of Admissions accepted 408 applicants, making the admission rate roughly 15.5 percent.

Romero da Silva said some of the increase can be attributed to The Rice Investment, which  increases aid to low and middle income families and makes the amount of expected financial aid more transparent.

Last year, the applicant pool increased by 18 percent. Romero da Silva said she expects the trend of increasing applications to continue.

“I am absolutely thrilled with the growing interest in Rice,” Romero da Silva wrote. “The more students, families and high school counselors know about the incredible faculty, community and resources Rice provides, the more I expect interest in Rice will continue to grow.” 

Midtown Fiesta by Innovation District closes, drawing attention to food inaccessibility in the area

The Fiesta Mart in Midtown at 4200 San Jacinto St., which was leased from Rice University and is across the street from the currently under construction Ion building, closed on July 10. The store serviced both Midtown and Third Ward residents and the closure has drawn attention to the issue of food access in the Third Ward, which is classified as a food desert.

Remembering Rice: A Q+A with Andrew Maust

“[Rice] was a very active community leader, a wealthy community leader who preserved and grew slavery in Houston. There’s no mincing words, it’s very clear that he did that,“ said Andrew Maust (Brown College ‘19), who wrote a research paper on William Marsh Rice’s involvement with slavery.