Saturday, May 30, 2020 — Houston, TX °

INKED: Wolves, science, music, and a lifelong tattoo project

tattoo

By Elizabeth Rasich     11/7/18 12:23am

The Thresher talks to Colin Howman about his tattoo in the first of a series about students at Rice with tattoos.

Colin Howman’s self-designed tattoo is not a one-and-done experience. 

“The idea behind the tattoo is that as I go through life and I encounter important life events, things that become important to me--things that I enjoy and make up who I am--I'll have a tattoo of them put on,” Howman, a McMurtry College senior, said.

Hence the Greek letter sigma, which means summation in mathematical notation.

“This tattoo will be the summation of who I am,” Howman said.

So far Howman’s tattoo already encompasses a number of aspects of his life. The wolf is both his favorite animal and representative of himself: Colin means young wolf in Gaelic. The atom shows his love of science, math and STEM in general. And the play-pause symbols around the atom indicate his passion for music; he listens to “just about anything” and last year racked up around 103,000 minutes of listening to songs on Spotify. 

Howman already has a plan for his next addition: a galaxy spiral to represent his interest in space and his two summers as an intern at NASA. His current tattoos are located on his left shoulder, and he plans to go across his chest and back rather than down his arm in a sleeve.

“Jobs are a thing,” he joked.

The process of thinking through the design of the tattoos was a lengthy process and it went through several iterations before Howman decided on the final version. After looking at pictures of tattoos on the internet to get ideas, he would draw a design in pencil and paper first and Sharpie next. He even had a friend draw a potential design on his arm to see what it might look like before making a final decision. 

“Obviously it's a little bit of a challenge because there's curvature on skin so I [couldn’t] take that fully into account,” he said.

The tattoo artist also gave feedback about the design. The wolf, for example, is missing a back leg to avoid the tattoo becoming too dark, according to Howman.

Howman said the permanency of his body art drove him to make the tattoos personal. 

“Even if I look back twenty years from now I can look back and say, oh, at least this is who I am--and at that certain point in time that's what really defined me.”

Black at Rice: Through video games and community, Jaylen Carr finds his voice

Jaylen Carr grew up playing Nintendo video games — “If it had the Nintendo seal, I probably played it at some point,” he said — and loving everything about the multinational Japanese electronics and video game company. So when he received an internship offer from the Nintendo human resources department in the spring of his sophomore year, Carr said it felt like his stars had aligned. 

Professor, RA, new parent: Lesa Tran’s journey in the midst of the pandemic

On a cool Saturday in March, Lesa Tran held her daughter Ophelia for the very first time. Throughout Ophelia’s life, her March 21 birthday will coincide with the vernal equinox — the beginning of spring — and signal the start of the season of renewal, hope and promise. This year, though, things were different: Spring came on March 20, and Ophelia was delivered amid a global pandemic. 

Gabe Baker listens to his heart on new Bachelor spinoff

Being on the screen isn’t new to Gabe Baker, a Rice alumnus (Brown College ’14) and cast member of The Bachelor franchise’s new music dating show: “The Bachelor: Listen to Your Heart” on ABC, where contestants sing to and with each other. Baker has been on athletic competition reality shows before –– “American Ninja Warrior” and Netflix’s “Ultimate Beastmaster.” While the constant eye of the cameras did put him under pressure to perform on those shows, Baker said that being on “The Bachelor” brought a new kind of pressure.