Monday, October 18, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Letter to the Editor: Rice College Republicans say they’re committed to registering voters. Their recent record indicates otherwise.

moses-glickman-and-maddy-scannell

By Maddy Scannell and Moses Glickman     10/17/18 12:51am

In the Oct. 3 issue of The Rice Thresher, the Rice University College Republicans claimed to support increasing voter turnout. RUCR President Juliette Turner claimed in her interview with the Thresher that her group has not been invited to participate in campus events to increase voter registration. 

This summer, the Center for Civic Leadership emailed Turner and other leaders of a variety of campus political groups to ask for their help in drafting and implementing a plan to increase voter engagement on campus. While the other three groups the CCL contacted replied quickly, Turner never responded. 

Franz Brotzen, president of the Rice University Young Democrats, also emailed Turner in July 2018 to plan a voter registration event with Civic Duty Rice. He did not receive a response. 

On a campus where barely one-eighth of primary ballots cast this cycle were Republican, this inaction makes sense. Republican-controlled state governments across America have come to the same conclusion: Limiting the number of college students who vote entrenches Republican majorities. If RUCR wishes to break free from their national party’s shameful approach toward voter disenfranchisement, we urge them to take meaningful steps on Rice’s campus to increase political engagement.

Editor’s note: The Thresher has obtained copies of the emails mentioned in this letter to the editor and has taken steps to verify the authors’ claims.

OPINION 10/13/21 12:30am
​​Reconsider using the terms Hispanic, Latino and Latinx

Before Hispanic Heritage Month officially ends, I would like to take a moment to write about the labels those of us of Latin American heritage use to describe ourselves. At Rice, club names, course titles and survey questions often defer to pan-ethnic labels even though most people tend to use their national origin group as a primary identifier. These pan-ethnic labels are problematic. Although they in some ways unify Latin American communities, they often leave out others, like Afro-Latinos and indigenous Latinos. My goal here is not to dissuade people from using pan-ethnic labels; as history has shown, they can be useful, to some degree. However, my intention is for all of us, Latinos and non-Latinos alike, to use them wisely — with the understanding that the Latino community cannot be condensed into one culturally, ethnically or even linguistically homogeneous group. With that in mind, I hope that we as a Rice community continue to discuss and re-evaluate our language even after Hispanic Heritage Month ends. 

OPINION 10/13/21 12:23am
Guidelines require definitions: What is a ‘gathering’?

As we have seen over the past 18 months, COVID-19 has a tendency to disrupt even the best-laid plans. The administration was premature in declaring a return to normalcy in May, and we appreciate the caution with which they have handled COVID policies this semester. Since the initial testing snafu during Orientation Week, COVID guidelines on campus have been gradually rolled back as the semester progresses. 

The Rice community showed us how to show up

This weekend, people flooded the streets of Houston and cities across the state to protest SB 8 at the Women’s March. For a march dedicated to women, the crowd extended well beyond that group, including adults, children and pets alike. While it may have been initially daunting to take action in the wake of SB 8’s enactment, numerous displays of support last weekend by members of the Rice community and other actions in the previous weeks have shed light on how we can support each other and come together to support causes we are passionate about.