Thursday, August 22, 2019 — Houston, TX 93°

BROCKHAMPTON delivers a high energy ‘I'll Be There’ performance

10-05-brockhampton-by-roger-ho-acl2018-rh-05-rh200200
BROCKHAMPTON performs at Austin City Limits. Courtesy Roger Ho

By Vy Pham     10/10/18 12:49pm

Ameer? Not here. The “best boyband since One Direction” opened their “I’ll Be There” Houston tour stop by performing some songs from “iridescence,” their first full album without formerly prominent member Ameer Vann. Despite the dismissal of one of BROCKHAMPTON’s main rappers, the Oct. 7 performance of this new album retained the cathartically aggressive yet catchy energy of their earlier performances. 

Kevin Abstract’s and Bearface’s smooth vocals seemed to melt everyone in the crowd with “TONYA”  – until the audio suddenly cut off. During the first few songs, there were technical difficulties leaving the audience confused. 

“Tonight sucked im really sorry,” Kevin Abstract said in a later tweet. 

However, the audio concerns quickly dissipated after a short break to fix the speakers, and the concert picked back up. The visuals meshed perfectly with the eclectic vocals. Going along with the “iridescence” album cover, the screen projected “VIVID” thermal-colored videos along with a vibrant lightshow. Most notable was the footage of a rollercoaster ride, which fully encompassed the contrasting ups and downs in the album.

Between tracks from their new album, BROCKHAMPTON performed songs from their “SATURATION“ trilogy. Whenever Vann’s lines came up in “GUMMY” and “SWEET,” they skipped over it and went to the next member’s verse. This flowed surprisingly well. When the lively beats of “BOOGIE” and “QUEER” coursed through Revention Music Center, the ocean of fans cheered and screamed. Like a whirlpool, mosh pits opened up in the middle of the floor and sucked everyone into them, with no toe left uncrushed. These moments of unity were intense as everyone collided into each other in chaotic rhythm. 

To close, BROCKHAMPTON performed the soft melancholic “SAN MARCOS,” creating a sentimental air. Fans banded together and swayed back and forth for a five-minute, unforgettably heartwarming moment. The band continued with “BLEACH,” pointing the microphone at the crowd, allowing the audience to sing along to the harmonious chorus. 

After BROCKHAMPTON exited the stage, cheers for an encore promptly began. Minutes later, they returned and performed three other songs, including their single “1999 WILDFIRE,” which brought the crowd to a peak.

The setlist of BROCKHAMPTON’s “I’ll Be There Tour” was a perfect mix of fresh new songs and iconic older songs. Even without Vann, the band carried on, making energetic music and delivering exuberant performances. As for the band members’ vocals, they were just as strong and bold in real life as when I blast them on Spotify while I clean my room. From the fear of shattering my phone to the worries about being trampled in a mosh pit, the adrenaline of making it out alive truly enhanced the immersive experience of the concert. 

Best and Worst of: Lollapalooza 2019

While attending the four-day festival was enough to give us some pretty persistent post-concert depression (not to mention legs of steel and black festival snot for days), there were some parts that we won’t really miss — like the canned water and soul-sucking L trip back to our Airbnb. While not all aspects of Lollapalooza may have been worth storming the fence for, there were certainly many that left a lasting impression, and reasons that Lollapalooza stood out as a festival to remember.

Lollapalooza Survival Guide

Summer is here, which means festival season. Chicago is prepping for Lollapalooza, its annual four-day festival in scenic Grant Park. This year’s lineup is packed with musical sensations like Childish Gambino, Twenty One Pilots, Ariana Grande and more. In addition to their high-profile headliners, the festival will also be welcoming a diverse range of rising artists. 

Now playing: Lollapalooza 2019 artists to listen to

Though it’s not as flamboyant as Coachella or as conveniently located as Austin City Limits, Lollapalooza, which will take place over four days starting this Thursday, is an iconic summer affair that kicks off festival season with a bang.