Monday, September 21, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Letter to the Editor: In Defense of Public Parties

By Paul Mayer/DJ Friendzone     9/4/18 10:52pm

About a year ago, the Thresher started publishing “Party Patrols,” reviews of public parties around campus. The contents of these sections vary from silly, unhelpful soundbites to useful feedback that gets incorporated into planning Rice’s parties, both public and private, and will for years to come.

As someone who has been involved with parties at every residential college for the past four years, I have seen major changes in the public party scene. For instance, attendance at many of the newer publics, such as Baker Christmas and Y2K, has increased, while attendance at some more established parties like Night of Decadence has gone down. Social coordinators have shifted from using external DJs to hiring student DJs who often know more about the Rice community than those outside of it.

I believe that a lot of these changes are positive. For example, I have recently heard less electronic dance music, and more pop and hip-hop, played at parties, the variety of which encourages a broader demographic of attendees. Additionally, many colleges only host one public per year instead of the traditional one per semester, which allows them to focus their budgets on a single night. However, many of these changes would not be possible without the continued efforts of some of the most underthanked people on campus: college social coordinators.

These individuals, and their team of freshmen earning service hours, are able to organize something incredible while still managing their coursework. Decorating a college’s commons to look like outer space or an ancient Roman festival is not easy, and coordinating security, music, power, food, caregivers, alcohol and EMS as well is nothing less than daunting. These coordinators, along with their college’s freshmen, are all volunteers; their reward is seeing people have a good time. Some social coordinators, such as Baker College junior Rebecca Francis and Lovett College senior Bailey Douglas, who are among the hardest-working people I have met at Rice, plan their publics up to six months in advance to ensure everything goes smoothly.

Perhaps seeing it from this angle explains why I sometimes feel frustrated when people say that “X college throws bad parties.” Bad parties stem from bad attendance, and bad attendance is the result of a reputation for bad parties. If you do not go to a party because you heard attendance is going to be low, then you are contributing to the problem.

Is your suitemate DJ-ing? Go and support them! Do you want to hear a certain song or type of music? Email your socials or post on the event page. Unlike many clubs and bars outside of campus trying to make money from you, socials’ only priority is for you to have a good time.

Publics are not just for freshmen or students trying to get laid. They are for you just as much as anyone else. Do your college a favor and thank your socials the next time you see them!

Underpaid, overworked: Students speak out about challenges in leadership positions

On a sweltering day in August, groups of students across campus braced themselves for the daunting task ahead of them: spending hours helping new students move into their dorms. Move-in day kicks off Orientation Week every year, and nearly all Rice students are familiar with the ritual of sweaty, beaming advisors running back and forth with labeled cardboard boxes as incoming students start exploring their new home.  

Rice among minority of peer institutions to hold in-person classes

U.S. News & World Report’s Top 20 colleges have adopted varying reopening plans and testing strategies for the fall semester. Rice, which has maintained a low positivity rate on COVID tests, joins only five other Top 20 institutions — the University of Chicago, the University of Notre Dame, Duke University, Vanderbilt University and Cornell University — in offering a hybrid or in-person classroom experience for the fall.

How to safely vote in the presidential election

The upcoming presidential election may be the most important of our lifetime. It also comes in the middle of a life-changing pandemic that has seriously altered election administration. Although election procedures continue to be finalized, we now have a solid idea of what our options are for voting in November and as the election judge for Rice’s polling location this year, I’m here to break it all down for you.