Thursday, February 27, 2020 — Houston, TX 41°

Fence goes up around Baker quad in preparation for construction

baker-quad-alp-yakici-col
Photo credit: Alp Yakici

By Anna Ta     9/26/18 1:37am

The quad between Baker College magister’s house and Will Rice College Old Dorm has been fenced off, likely to the chagrin of students accustomed to the well-worn diagonal shortcut, according to an email sent by Eliza Martin, Baker president.

According to Martin, a senior, construction will eventually begin in that area to construct the new Will Rice magister’s house. The current house, which is in between Will Rice New Dorm and Sid Richardson college, will eventually need to be demolished, as the new Sid Richardson building will utilize that space.

Although the timeline of construction for the new Will Rice magister house is uncertain, Sid Richardson students are projected to move into the new building in the fall of 2021. The current one will be converted into graduate student housing for five to seven years, according to Sid Richardson magister Ken Whitmire.

Facilities, Engineering and Planning could not be reached at the time of publication.

College elections plagued by errors and violations

Spring elections at the residential colleges came with a myriad of problems this year, following the implementation of OwlNest voting at some colleges. Tabulation errors of ranked-choice voting by OwlNest have pushed Will Rice College’s secretary race to the its college’s court. Although Jones College continued with Qualtrics, similar problems have led to a re-election for the positions of internal vice president and treasurer.

On-campus primary polling location moved off campus

Student groups are expressing concerns over the lack of an on-campus polling location for the upcoming March 3 primary election. These concerns follow a decision by county party officials to not hold a polling location at Rice due to accessibility concerns for non-Rice voters.