Wednesday, September 18, 2019 — Houston, TX 76°

Fence goes up around Baker quad in preparation for construction

baker-quad-alp-yakici-col
Photo credit: Alp Yakici

By Anna Ta     9/26/18 1:37am

The quad between Baker College magister’s house and Will Rice College Old Dorm has been fenced off, likely to the chagrin of students accustomed to the well-worn diagonal shortcut, according to an email sent by Eliza Martin, Baker president.

According to Martin, a senior, construction will eventually begin in that area to construct the new Will Rice magister’s house. The current house, which is in between Will Rice New Dorm and Sid Richardson college, will eventually need to be demolished, as the new Sid Richardson building will utilize that space.

Although the timeline of construction for the new Will Rice magister house is uncertain, Sid Richardson students are projected to move into the new building in the fall of 2021. The current one will be converted into graduate student housing for five to seven years, according to Sid Richardson magister Ken Whitmire.

Facilities, Engineering and Planning could not be reached at the time of publication.

H&D expands trash collection system change

Housing & Dining has implemented a trash collection system in the South Colleges that requires students to remove their own trash from their rooms, expanding a system that was already in place in North Colleges, according to H&D’s operations directors Beth Leaver and Brad Thacker.

Handshake to replace Rice Job Board

Handshake, a national career database for students, is replacing the online Rice Job Board and changing the hiring process for campus-wide jobs and internships. However, the work-study jobs posted on the old Job Board have yet to be transferred onto Handshake. 

Student Center introduces Owlnest

A new all-in-one online dashboard, Owlnest, designed to coordinate campus events and activities, was introduced at the beginning of the fall semester by the Rice Student Center.