Friday, September 30, 2022 — Houston, TX

Allison Vogt named new associate dean of undergraduates

By Anna Ta     9/12/18 12:45am

Allison Vogt, formerly the director for sexual violence prevention and Title IX support, has begun her new role as an associate dean of undergraduates, according to an email announcement from Dean of Undergraduates Bridget Gorman. 

Vogt will be overseeing the Student Wellbeing Office, the Counseling Center, Student Judicial Programs and Title IX, her former office.

“In her time at Rice, Allison has done top-notch work for us in Title IX and in her collaborative activities with others in the division,” Gorman said in the email.

Vogt said she is ready to make improvements to support students.

“I am looking forward to this new adventure and to continuing to work with the great group of folks in the four offices,” Vogt said. “My priority at this point is to make sure that the offices have what they need to continue to support our students and to begin looking for any gaps in services for us to address.”

The search is underway to fill her former role as Title IX director, according to Vogt.

She is replacing former associate dean Donald Ostdiek, who retired at the end of the 2017-2018 academic year. 

SA resolutions introduced on reproductive health, disability accommodations

At the Sept. 26 senate meeting, students presented two resolutions: one for the creation of a student reproductive health coalition and one for improving the accessibility of disability accommodations. If passed, the first bill would establish the Student Reproductive Health Coalition, a task force that would meet at least once a month throughout the academic year. 

Rice community celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month

The Office of Multicultural Affairs and student groups like the Hispanic Association for Cultural Enrichment at Rice have come together to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month, a national acknowledgment of Hispanic culture which runs from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15. There will be cultural events across campus to commemorate the month.

HackRice returns in-person for year 12

The twelfth annual HackRice was held in-person this past weekend for the first time since 2019. Anthony Yan, one of three student directors, said that while engagement was slightly lower than previous years, the event ran successfully.