Friday, July 01, 2022 — Houston, TX

​Committee to look at SJP practices

By Andrew Grottkau     8/29/18 12:50am

Dean of Undergraduates Bridget Gorman has established a committee to evaluate Student Judicial Programs policies and practices, according to Senior Associate Dean of Undergraduates Brian Gibson, who will chair the committee.

The Student Judicial Programs Advisory Committee will consist of eight members: four members of the administration and four students. Of the students, two are college presidents, one is a chief justice and one is chair of University Court.

According to the committee’s charge, they will be tasked with determining the strengths of the current system as well as potential changes that could improve SJP’s effectiveness. Gibson said these types of reviews are important, particularly to offices like SJP.

“Especially in offices where the nature of the work is private or confidential, there can be significant misunderstandings among the community about their primary purpose and practices,” Gibson said. “The committee should produce a report that allows transparency and consensus building towards our shared goals.”

The committee has no specified timetable, according to Gibson, and will eventually submit a final report with recommendations to Dean Gorman when its review is complete. As chair, Gibson said he will be tasked with making sure the committee upholds its duties as listed in its charge.

Eliza Martin, Baker College president and senior, said she sees her role on the committee is to provide an objective undergraduate opinion.

“This will mean working with the other students on the committee to elevate the opinions of undergraduate students who are not on the committee,” Martin said.

Gibson said he is looking forward to the chance to take charge of the review.

“I am excited for the opportunity to serve in this role because the goals of SJP at Rice are extremely important to the shared values of the entire community, and I want to support the staff and their function for the best outcomes,” Gibson said.

Michigan professor Amy Dittmar named Rice’s next provost

Amy Dittmar, the senior vice provost for academic and budgetary affairs and a professor of economics and finance at the University of Michigan, has been selected as Rice’s new provost, incoming president Reginald DesRoches announced Thursday. DesRoches, the current provost, will become Rice’s president on July 1, and Dittmar will start August 1.

SA drafts formal complaint against Chi Alpha after discrimination accusations

The Student Association executive board drafted a formal complaint against the Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship to present to University Court for violation of the SA Constitution nondiscrimination policy that every Rice organization is required to adhere to. This complaint comes in light of the recently published Thresher article, where several students shared their experience with discrimation within the club on the basis of sexual orientation.