Saturday, May 30, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Associate Dean of Undergraduates Don Ostdiek retiring

attachment1

By Andrew Grottkau     6/16/18 12:28am

Associate Dean of Undergraduates Donald Ostdiek will retire at the conclusion of the 2017-18 academic year, according to an email from Dean of Undergraduates John Hutchinson.

Ostdiek has assumed many roles during his 21-year tenure at Rice. In addition to his job as associate dean, he is Rice’s Title IX coordinator and Policy Studies Program director.

The announcement of Ostdiek’s retirement comes months after the Student Judicial Programs reporting system was restructured due to a romantic relationship between Ostdiek and SJP director Lisa DeLaTorre. In April, Hutchinson said he believed there were no violations of university policy by Ostdiek or Delatorre.

Some of Ostdiek’s greatest accomplishments, according to Hutchinson, include establishing the Student Wellbeing Office, building the Sexual Violence Prevention and Title IX Support program and overhauling the SJP sanctions policy.

In 2012, Ostdiek received special recognition from the Rice Board of Trustees for his contributions to the university. At the time, Hutchinson wrote in his nomination letter to the board that Ostdiek had made a positive impact on the university.

“For many of us in administration at Rice, Don is a key player,” Hutchinson wrote. “Without question, he has made Rice a better place for undergraduate and graduate students alike.”

In an email to Rice faculty and staff, Hutchinson said Ostdiek would be missed by the Rice community.

“All of us at Rice are grateful to Don for his innovation, his dedication and his commitment in making this a better campus,” Hutchinson said.

Multiple attempts to reach out to Ostdiek for comment on his retirement were unsuccessful. Hutchinson declined further comment on Ostdiek’s decision to retire.

According to Hutchinson, incoming Dean of Undergraduates Bridget Gorman will choose Ostdiek’s replacement. 

Rice mandates mask-wearing, shares vision to reopen campus

Rice announced the health protocols, which will be in place starting June 1 until further notice, in an email to students yesterday. Leebron had previously shared a $10 million budget gap caused by COVID-19 and the potential for full-time employees to be furloughed in a town hall on Friday.

First-ever virtual commencement held for the Class of 2020

With an in-person graduation ceremony indefinitely postponed, the class of 2020 was presented in a virtual commencement ceremony, livestreamed yesterday on the university’s YouTube and Facebook page. The undergraduate ceremony included footage of students and campus, messages from various community members, and a reading of all the graduating seniors’ names.