Friday, September 30, 2022 — Houston, TX

Rice student turnout surges for both Democratic and Republican primaries

political_divisions_graphic

By Anna Ta     3/20/18 10:48pm

All eight Rice University student voters of 2014’s Democratic primary might be glad to know that the turnout this last weekend had increased by 2700 percent to 224 voters. Student turn out at the Republican primaries also increased by 450 percent from six voters to 33.

Rice Young Democrats president ex officio Maurice Frediere said RYD and Civic Duty Rice sent out reminders about early voting locations, coordinated with the Todd Litton campaign to drive students to polling locations, and collaborated with local campaigns to connect students to candidates.

Frediere said the candidates made efforts to reschedule other commitments to come to campus events for students.

“Obviously a big part is the groundswell of progressive activism across the country that's happened after the election of President Trump,” Frediere said. “That being said, the Rice Dems and Civic Duty took part in an unprecedented effort to turn out students and all the students who were a part of the turnout effort did a great job.”

SA resolutions introduced on reproductive health, disability accommodations

At the Sept. 26 senate meeting, students presented two resolutions: one for the creation of a student reproductive health coalition and one for improving the accessibility of disability accommodations. If passed, the first bill would establish the Student Reproductive Health Coalition, a task force that would meet at least once a month throughout the academic year. 

Rice community celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month

The Office of Multicultural Affairs and student groups like the Hispanic Association for Cultural Enrichment at Rice have come together to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month, a national acknowledgment of Hispanic culture which runs from Sept. 15 to Oct. 15. There will be cultural events across campus to commemorate the month.

HackRice returns in-person for year 12

The twelfth annual HackRice was held in-person this past weekend for the first time since 2019. Anthony Yan, one of three student directors, said that while engagement was slightly lower than previous years, the event ran successfully.