Wednesday, December 11, 2019 — Houston, TX 57°

Renowned journalist to speak at nearby synagogue

By Ella Feldman     1/23/18 9:17pm

Carl Bernstein, renowned journalist known for his Washington Post coverage of the Watergate scandal, will be speaking at Congregation Emanu El on Wednesday, Jan. 24 at 7:30 p.m. Bernstein is the Congregation’s featured 2018 Endowment Fund Speaker. The event is free and open to students.

Bernstein began his journalism career in his hometown of Washington, D.C. at The Washington Star. He worked as a reporter at the University of Maryland’s The Diamondback before he dropped out, then went on to have a brief career in New Jersey before joining the Washington Post.

In 1972, Bernstein and fellow reporter Bob Woodward were assigned to cover a break-in at the Democratic National Committee headquarters, located at the Watergate complex. The reporters discovered that President Nixon was connected to the burglary, which led to further investigations and Nixon’s eventual resignation.

Bernstein and Woodward share a Pulitzer Prize for their coverage of Watergate. Since the scandal, Bernstein has authored or co-authored six books, including “All the President’s Men” and “A Woman in Charge: The Life of Hillary Rodham Clinton.” He now serves as a regular political commentator on CNN.

Congregation Emanu El is a Reform synagogue located at 1500 Sunset Blvd, across the street from Martel College, which regularly hosts events and speakers. Last November, they rented out their space to the Progressive Forum for an event with Anthony Romero, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union.

The Endowment Fund has been established by various donors who traditionally donate funds in someone’s honor. These funds go towards Emanu El’s building and programming, including the Endowment Fund speaker event. Previous speakers have included 52nd Governor of New York Mario Cuomo, actor Leonard Nimoy, and high school football coach Herman Boone who inspired the film “Remember the Titans”.

Four suspects indicted after RUPD investigation into eight on-campus burglaries

A grand jury indicted four male suspects for their alleged involvement in a rash of on-campus burglaries last year which totaled $20,534 in damages, according to Rice University Police Department Chief of Police James Tate.  The four suspects, now awaiting trial after last Monday’s indictment, could face felony charges and up to $10,000 in fines if found guilty of the charges brought against them by RUPD. A resolution of the case would also account for all reported on-campus burglaries in 2018, according to RUPD Lieutenant of Investigations Derrick McClinton.

Waste contamination hinders recycling at Rice

The percent of waste recycled at Rice has remained stagnant around 25 percent in recent years, but the Administrative Center for Sustainability and Energy Management is aiming to reach 40 percent by 2020, according to the Facilities Engineering and Planning website.