Renowned journalist to speak at nearby synagogue

By Ella Feldman     1/23/18 9:17pm

Carl Bernstein, renowned journalist known for his Washington Post coverage of the Watergate scandal, will be speaking at Congregation Emanu El on Wednesday, Jan. 24 at 7:30 p.m. Bernstein is the Congregation’s featured 2018 Endowment Fund Speaker. The event is free and open to students.

Bernstein began his journalism career in his hometown of Washington, D.C. at The Washington Star. He worked as a reporter at the University of Maryland’s The Diamondback before he dropped out, then went on to have a brief career in New Jersey before joining the Washington Post.

In 1972, Bernstein and fellow reporter Bob Woodward were assigned to cover a break-in at the Democratic National Committee headquarters, located at the Watergate complex. The reporters discovered that President Nixon was connected to the burglary, which led to further investigations and Nixon’s eventual resignation.

Bernstein and Woodward share a Pulitzer Prize for their coverage of Watergate. Since the scandal, Bernstein has authored or co-authored six books, including “All the President’s Men” and “A Woman in Charge: The Life of Hillary Rodham Clinton.” He now serves as a regular political commentator on CNN.

Congregation Emanu El is a Reform synagogue located at 1500 Sunset Blvd, across the street from Martel College, which regularly hosts events and speakers. Last November, they rented out their space to the Progressive Forum for an event with Anthony Romero, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union.

The Endowment Fund has been established by various donors who traditionally donate funds in someone’s honor. These funds go towards Emanu El’s building and programming, including the Endowment Fund speaker event. Previous speakers have included 52nd Governor of New York Mario Cuomo, actor Leonard Nimoy, and high school football coach Herman Boone who inspired the film “Remember the Titans”.

Michigan professor Amy Dittmar named Rice’s next provost

Amy Dittmar, the senior vice provost for academic and budgetary affairs and a professor of economics and finance at the University of Michigan, has been selected as Rice’s new provost, incoming president Reginald DesRoches announced Thursday. DesRoches, the current provost, will become Rice’s president on July 1, and Dittmar will start August 1.

SA drafts formal complaint against Chi Alpha after discrimination accusations

The Student Association executive board drafted a formal complaint against the Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship to present to University Court for violation of the SA Constitution nondiscrimination policy that every Rice organization is required to adhere to. This complaint comes in light of the recently published Thresher article, where several students shared their experience with discrimation within the club on the basis of sexual orientation.