Sunday, January 26, 2020 — Houston, TX 56°

​Martel, Lovett victorious in Powderpuff playoffs

powderpuff_jiayi_lyu_col

By Joshua Anil     11/15/17 4:23pm

Screaming fans, sweat-stained jerseys and leather pigskins. There was some serious football played this past weekend, not just at Rice Stadium. Powderpuff playoffs began this week with Martel College facing Duncan College and Will Rice College facing Lovett College in the quarterfinals.

Martel 7, Duncan 6

In the north college matchup, Duncan started the game with a touchdown on its first possession but was unable to convert the extra point. The game then became a defensive battle, keeping the score 6-0 Duncan until the fourth quarter. Martel managed to score late in the fourth quarter and converted their extra point to take a 7-6 lead. Duncan drove down the field in the final two minutes to try for a game-winning score, but the Duncan quarterback was picked off in the end zone by Martel junior Sadie Richardson, ending the game. Martel came away with the 7-6 win and will advance to the semifinals against undefeated McMurtry College.

Lovett 13, Will Rice 0

Lovett defeated Will Rice in a south college quarterfinal game on Monday night in a rematch of a 25-12 Will Rice regular season victory. Lovett scored two touchdowns en route to a 13-0 win, one in each half. Lovett sophomore Sarah Lasater led the team in receiving. Will Rice was unable to score; Lovett sophomore Emily Klineberg picked off a pass on fourth and goal with two minutes left in the game. Lovett will advance to the semifinals to take on Hanszen College.

Edit Nov. 16, 2017: As exact statistics are not kept in Rice Powderpuff, the article has been updated to reflect that Lovett sophomore Sarah Lasater led her team in receiving. A previous version of this article stated that Lasater had over 100 receiving yards.

First week of school: Campus has no cool

Due to ongoing construction at the Central Plant, the campus has experienced disruptions in air cooling at both residential and academic buildings over the past week, exacerbated by a heat wave that culminated in a record-high 83 degrees on Wednesday.

Reginald DesRoches races towards provostship

Closing in at a swift one hour, 50 minutes and 34 seconds, Reginald DesRoches set a personal record at the Aramco Houston Half Marathon on Sunday, beating last year’s time by six minutes. Next summer, DesRoches will break another record. On July 1, the current dean of the George R. Brown School of Engineering will become the ninth provost to take office — and the first Black provost in Rice’s history.