Saturday, September 18, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Students must act responsibly and respectfully when attending public parties

By Shree Kale , Beril Uzmen , Kelly Yu and Mike Hua     11/28/17 11:16pm

When people say Archis live in Anderson, they are right. In fact, the architecture students treat Anderson Hall as their home and use Architectronica as a way to share their home and space with the entire university. It is a privilege for the Rice community to have free parties that are open to all students and furthermore, in this case, to use an academic building to host a public.

There is an amount of sacrifice and planning that goes into hosting and running any event of this size. Both graduate and undergraduate students had to leave their workspace rather than work on their final projects to accommodate the party. It took three hours of setting up, 33 hours of lighting preparation the week of and months of planning to make Architectronica possible. The belligerent and immature behavior of some attendees was disrespectful to everyone who put in work as well as all of the patient partygoers who were unable to attend the event.

Everybody who attends a public party has an obligation to act responsibly. If we want the privilege of having these events on campus, we should take time to reflect on our actions and their consequences.

– Shree Kale (Duncan College sophomore), Beril Üzmen (Jones College sophomore), Kelly Yu (Wiess College sophomore), Mike Hua (Duncan College senior)

Rice cancels classes and activities due to Hurricane Nicholas

All classes and instructional activities were cancelled on Sept. 14 due to widespread power outages caused by Tropical Storm Nicholas, according to an alert sent by the Rice Crisis Management Team. This follows an announcement originally requiring all classes after 5 p.m. on Sept. 13 to be taught remotely.

Are we insignificant? Meaning, science and God

We live in an illusioned and disillusioned world. Misinformation swarms everywhere as a pandemic ravages the planet. Every person has an opinion, every opinion an archenemy next door. We are divided and afraid. For many, another semester of squelched college experience is now wholly overshadowed by the tangible threat of disease and death all around.