Monday, August 26, 2019 — Houston, TX 80°

Students must act responsibly and respectfully when attending public parties

By Shree Kale , Beril Uzmen , Kelly Yu and Mike Hua     11/28/17 11:16pm

When people say Archis live in Anderson, they are right. In fact, the architecture students treat Anderson Hall as their home and use Architectronica as a way to share their home and space with the entire university. It is a privilege for the Rice community to have free parties that are open to all students and furthermore, in this case, to use an academic building to host a public.

There is an amount of sacrifice and planning that goes into hosting and running any event of this size. Both graduate and undergraduate students had to leave their workspace rather than work on their final projects to accommodate the party. It took three hours of setting up, 33 hours of lighting preparation the week of and months of planning to make Architectronica possible. The belligerent and immature behavior of some attendees was disrespectful to everyone who put in work as well as all of the patient partygoers who were unable to attend the event.

Everybody who attends a public party has an obligation to act responsibly. If we want the privilege of having these events on campus, we should take time to reflect on our actions and their consequences.

– Shree Kale (Duncan College sophomore), Beril Üzmen (Jones College sophomore), Kelly Yu (Wiess College sophomore), Mike Hua (Duncan College senior)

Best and Worst of: Lollapalooza 2019

While attending the four-day festival was enough to give us some pretty persistent post-concert depression (not to mention legs of steel and black festival snot for days), there were some parts that we won’t really miss — like the canned water and soul-sucking L trip back to our Airbnb. While not all aspects of Lollapalooza may have been worth storming the fence for, there were certainly many that left a lasting impression, and reasons that Lollapalooza stood out as a festival to remember.

A new coffee shop on the first floor of McNair Hall is projected to open for business this September, according to Peter Rodriguez, dean of the Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business. According to Rodriguez, several external vendors are currently competing for a contract. Whichever vendor is selected will choose the baristas who will staff the coffee shop and the types of coffee and food offered, Rodriguez said.