Saturday, September 18, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Photo Gallery: RCEL Engineering Liftoff 2017

By Alice Liu and Jiayi Lyu     9/21/17 11:27pm

Over 150 Rice freshmen and upperclassmen attended this year's Engineering Liftoff, hosted annually by the Rice Center for Engineering Leadership. 

The event, held on Saturday September 9th in the RMC Grand Hall, was an opportunity for freshmen to meet peers, upperclassmen, and faculty in the engineering department. 

Teams competed against each other on a project designed to challenge their critical thinking and leadership abilities. Under the guidance of engineering upperclassmen, students used office supplies to build a device able to accurately launch a ping-pong ball at a target. The challenge simulated a scenario in which relief supplies need to be delivered to an island by air drop.

STRIVE, SAFE working to address possible double red zone

The SAFE Office and Students Turning Rice Into a Violence-Free Environment are currently creating a training schedule in order to provide a refresher bystander intervention workshop for College Teams and Student Leaders, according to Cathryn Councill, director of the SAFE Office.

Rice cancels classes and activities due to Hurricane Nicholas

All classes and instructional activities were cancelled on Sept. 14 due to widespread power outages caused by Tropical Storm Nicholas, according to an alert sent by the Rice Crisis Management Team. This follows an announcement originally requiring all classes after 5 p.m. on Sept. 13 to be taught remotely.