Friday, July 01, 2022 — Houston, TX

Photo Gallery: RCEL Engineering Liftoff 2017

By Alice Liu and Jiayi Lyu     9/21/17 11:27pm

Over 150 Rice freshmen and upperclassmen attended this year's Engineering Liftoff, hosted annually by the Rice Center for Engineering Leadership. 

The event, held on Saturday September 9th in the RMC Grand Hall, was an opportunity for freshmen to meet peers, upperclassmen, and faculty in the engineering department. 

Teams competed against each other on a project designed to challenge their critical thinking and leadership abilities. Under the guidance of engineering upperclassmen, students used office supplies to build a device able to accurately launch a ping-pong ball at a target. The challenge simulated a scenario in which relief supplies need to be delivered to an island by air drop.

Michigan professor Amy Dittmar named Rice’s next provost

Amy Dittmar, the senior vice provost for academic and budgetary affairs and a professor of economics and finance at the University of Michigan, has been selected as Rice’s new provost, incoming president Reginald DesRoches announced Thursday. DesRoches, the current provost, will become Rice’s president on July 1, and Dittmar will start August 1.

SA drafts formal complaint against Chi Alpha after discrimination accusations

The Student Association executive board drafted a formal complaint against the Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship to present to University Court for violation of the SA Constitution nondiscrimination policy that every Rice organization is required to adhere to. This complaint comes in light of the recently published Thresher article, where several students shared their experience with discrimation within the club on the basis of sexual orientation.