Sunday, October 24, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Moody must listen to VADA

By Thresher Editorial Board     3/8/17 8:00am

From its inception, the Moody Center has touted itself as an exciting arts addition to the Rice community and a means through which to enhance students’ education. In light of this valuable mission, the Moody Center’s shortcomings in supporting student art, despite a general lack of adequate spaces on campus for students to display or perform art, is disappointing.

“Proof’s” move from its intended space in the Moody to Hamman Hall due to the Center’s lack of preparation (see p. 1) is concerning. The Center’s inability to provide the resources necessary to put on a production they committed to months in advance is alarming.

Further, considering the executive director of the Moody’s nebulous non-answer to the inclusion of student artwork in the future, along with the fact that student organizations will have to pay a fee for utilizing the Center’s theater space, the promises of Moody as an “additive space” for artwork on campus ring rather hollow.

Over and over again, the Rice administration, including President Leebron, has lauded the Moody Center as an exciting addition to our school’s arts community, but what use is this space if it remains largely inaccessible to displaying student art and cooperating with student artists? How can we boast about the Moody Center’s many resources when our university, to this day, still does not have a black box theater, a basic staple in the dramatic arts?

Numerous visual and dramatic arts students and faculty have voiced concern over the Moody Center not serving students needs. In response, the Moody director condescendingly wonders whether the VADA department have pursued grants and fundraising in recent years. If anything, this response reflects that the Moody Center does not hear the needs of the student arts community, or it simply does not care. We hope it’s not too late for the Moody Center to listen to students and reassess its priorities.

Rice set to join American Athletic Conference

For just the third time in school history, Rice will be moving athletic conferences. Along with five other Conference USA schools, Rice accepted an invitation to join the American Athletic Conference, the AAC announced Thursday morning. Rice will remain in C-USA for now, as the move won’t take effect until a later time which is yet to be determined, although multiple Rice coaches indicated that 2023 could be a possible target date. According to Athletic Director Joe Karlgaard, in the AAC, Rice has found a conference that meets all of its criteria.

Wellbeing & Counseling Centers see 37% increase in demand from last year

The Wellbeing & Counseling Center have both seen an increase in use since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to Elizabeth Plummer, the clinical director of the Counseling Center. According to Plummer, walk-in appointments are available for emergency situations, and slots for these crisis appointments have been accounted for in the Counseling Center’s schedule to make walk-ins accessible. Since last year, the Counseling Center has seen nearly four times as many crisis appointments as they usually do, according to Timothy Baumgartner, director of the Counseling Center.

Nicole Lennon breaks kills record against LA Tech

Senior outside hitter Nicole Lennon made Rice history on Saturday, breaking the program’s all-time kills record as the Owls beat Louisiana Tech University in both matches of their two game series. With her 1970th kill, Lennon broke the record set almost two decades ago by Rice legend and former member of the Spain women’s national volleyball team Rebeca Paz. After the game, Lennon said that breaking the record let her see just how much of an impact she’s made on the program.