Thursday, May 06, 2021 — Houston, TX 81°

Low-income resources require better advertising

By Thresher Editorial Board     3/29/17 8:00am

The Thresher believes the initiative to support low-income students through the residential college system is an important addition to the resources already in existence for low-income students (see p. 1). However, these resources cannot be effective unless students know they exist, especially since such resources are currently scattered across various departments and campus organizations.

At this point, the administration must work on improving the visibility and accessibility of these resources to low-income and first generation students. Locating these resources can be especially difficult for new students already overwhelmed from navigating other aspects of the college experience. Thus, we suggest there be a centralized website, either through the Office of Financial Aid or Student Success Initiatives, that lists and consolidates the various resources available for ease of access. In addition, explaining these resources should be more formally included within the Orientation Week programming, and a student from each residential college should be a designated point person for low-income and first generation resources to further make these resources more accessible.

Soccer upsets No. 5 WVU in NCAA tournament, advance to round of 16

No. 25 Rice soccer upset No. 5 West Virginia University 1-0 on Saturday afternoon, moving on to the third round of the NCAA tournament in Cary, North Carolina next week. While the Mountaineers controlled possession for most of the game, the Owls managed to squeeze out a narrow victory behind a penalty shot in the 74th minute and lockdown defense throughout the game. In the round of 16, the Owls will play the No. 12 University of Virginia. After the match, head coach Brian Lee lauded his team’s effort in pulling off the upset.

From the Editor’s Desk: Journalism takes a village

Remember that we are fellow students seeking to deliver truth to the community with the best intentions in mind. I am deeply appreciative of every student, staff member, faculty and administrator that has shared their stories, data and viewpoints with me. Without the Rice community’s buy-in, the important work we do would not be possible.