Friday, December 03, 2021 — Houston, TX °

Low-income resources require better advertising

By Thresher Editorial Board     3/29/17 8:00am

The Thresher believes the initiative to support low-income students through the residential college system is an important addition to the resources already in existence for low-income students (see p. 1). However, these resources cannot be effective unless students know they exist, especially since such resources are currently scattered across various departments and campus organizations.

At this point, the administration must work on improving the visibility and accessibility of these resources to low-income and first generation students. Locating these resources can be especially difficult for new students already overwhelmed from navigating other aspects of the college experience. Thus, we suggest there be a centralized website, either through the Office of Financial Aid or Student Success Initiatives, that lists and consolidates the various resources available for ease of access. In addition, explaining these resources should be more formally included within the Orientation Week programming, and a student from each residential college should be a designated point person for low-income and first generation resources to further make these resources more accessible.

Volleyball sweeps San Diego in NCAA tourney, set for rematch with Texas

Rice volleyball will get another shot at No. 2 University of Texas, Austin after they swept the University of San Diego on Thursday in the first round of the NCAA tournament. The Owls took all three sets against the Toreros by at least five points, en route to the second victory in an NCAA tournament game in program history. After the game, head coach Genny Volpe said she was confident from the get-go. 

From provost to president: DesRoches talks road to new role

Until an earthquake struck northern California, Provost Reginald DesRoches intended to be a mechanical engineer. While studying for his Ph.D. at University of California, Berkeley, DesRoches said he was used to feeling tremors in the ground — but this earthquake, approximately a 7.0 on the Richter scale, was different.