Tuesday, August 20, 2019 — Houston, TX 89°

​Letter to the Editor: Unmentioned March for Life missed opportunity

By Emily Peirce     2/15/17 12:55pm

Following two articles featuring the Women’s March in the Jan. 25 edition of the Thresher, the lack of mention of the March for Life, which occurred Jan. 27, in the Feb. 1 edition spoke volumes. The Thresher was not the only source to downplay the pro-life march, which saw hundreds of thousands of activists gather in D.C. and across the nation to advocate for the rights of the pre-born. Major news outlets around the nation also suppressed coverage of the March for Life when they had applauded the Women’s March only a week prior for conducting a similar feat. Perhaps the Thresher staff found the March for Life irrelevant to the university or did not see enough student involvement to report on this event. Perhaps the staff thought the recent immigration order trumped the pro-life march in importance.

If the paper and the university are truly encouraging education on current events and politics, pushing for resistance and activism, advocating for diversity and inclusion and striving to foster constructive discourse that reaches across lines and barriers, the Thresher missed a crucial opportunity by remaining silent about this event. Fostering diversity should include diversity of thought, and so particularly in light of the exclusion many pro-life advocates experienced at the Women’s March, perhaps a March for Life article would have been the perfect chance to do just that.

For those interested, I recommend starting with learning about pregnancy and abortion procedures. Constructive discourse can only begin where ignorance ends.

Emily Peirce, mathematics graduate student

Best and Worst of: Lollapalooza 2019

While attending the four-day festival was enough to give us some pretty persistent post-concert depression (not to mention legs of steel and black festival snot for days), there were some parts that we won’t really miss — like the canned water and soul-sucking L trip back to our Airbnb. While not all aspects of Lollapalooza may have been worth storming the fence for, there were certainly many that left a lasting impression, and reasons that Lollapalooza stood out as a festival to remember.

A new coffee shop on the first floor of McNair Hall is projected to open for business this September, according to Peter Rodriguez, dean of the Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Business. According to Rodriguez, several external vendors are currently competing for a contract. Whichever vendor is selected will choose the baristas who will staff the coffee shop and the types of coffee and food offered, Rodriguez said.