Wednesday, May 12, 2021 — Houston, TX 63°

​Letter to the Editor: Unmentioned March for Life missed opportunity

By Emily Peirce     2/15/17 12:55pm

Following two articles featuring the Women’s March in the Jan. 25 edition of the Thresher, the lack of mention of the March for Life, which occurred Jan. 27, in the Feb. 1 edition spoke volumes. The Thresher was not the only source to downplay the pro-life march, which saw hundreds of thousands of activists gather in D.C. and across the nation to advocate for the rights of the pre-born. Major news outlets around the nation also suppressed coverage of the March for Life when they had applauded the Women’s March only a week prior for conducting a similar feat. Perhaps the Thresher staff found the March for Life irrelevant to the university or did not see enough student involvement to report on this event. Perhaps the staff thought the recent immigration order trumped the pro-life march in importance.

If the paper and the university are truly encouraging education on current events and politics, pushing for resistance and activism, advocating for diversity and inclusion and striving to foster constructive discourse that reaches across lines and barriers, the Thresher missed a crucial opportunity by remaining silent about this event. Fostering diversity should include diversity of thought, and so particularly in light of the exclusion many pro-life advocates experienced at the Women’s March, perhaps a March for Life article would have been the perfect chance to do just that.

For those interested, I recommend starting with learning about pregnancy and abortion procedures. Constructive discourse can only begin where ignorance ends.

Emily Peirce, mathematics graduate student

Soccer upsets No. 5 WVU in NCAA tournament, advance to round of 16

No. 25 Rice soccer upset No. 5 West Virginia University 1-0 on Saturday afternoon, moving on to the third round of the NCAA tournament in Cary, North Carolina next week. While the Mountaineers controlled possession for most of the game, the Owls managed to squeeze out a narrow victory behind a penalty shot in the 74th minute and lockdown defense throughout the game. In the round of 16, the Owls will play the No. 12 University of Virginia. After the match, head coach Brian Lee lauded his team’s effort in pulling off the upset.

From the Editor’s Desk: Journalism takes a village

Remember that we are fellow students seeking to deliver truth to the community with the best intentions in mind. I am deeply appreciative of every student, staff member, faculty and administrator that has shared their stories, data and viewpoints with me. Without the Rice community’s buy-in, the important work we do would not be possible.