Monday, September 28, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Queer Resource Center to relocate to old Rice Bikes location

By Hannah Todd     2/14/17 7:42pm

The Queer Resource Center is moving. Previously in the Student Organization Workspace in the RMC basement, it will be in the Rice Memorial Center, accessible from both the Ray Courtyard and Sammy’s.

Co-President Meredith Glaubach, a Jones College senior, said the QRC welcomed the move.

“Honestly, we were just really lucky,” Glaubach said. “The RMC reached out and offered it to us unexpectedly. We've wanted to be on the first floor of the RMC and in a visible non-closet space since we applied for our original funding.”

According to Glaubach, visibility is a main benefit of the new location.

“This space is relatively central, so hopefully people will see the new space and come hang out,” Glaubach said. “We’d love for the QRC to become more of a community space.”

Glaubach also noted the importance of the QRC for all Rice students, something its move may help to show.

“Even if someone doesn't need or want the services we offer, I think a big part of being a resource is being known and available if someone does need something,” Glaubach said. “Hopefully, this move will really put us on the map.”

McMurtry College senior Seth Berggren, the QRC's office space manager, said the move will benefit the organization beyond visibility.

“Having more space will allow us to do more programming in our office,” Berggren said. “Increased square footage will also create a queer-centric place on campus. This is something we can’t really do in our current office.”

This article has been edited to state that Seth Berggren is the space manager. A previous version incorrectly stated that Berggren is QRC co-president.

Admin discusses plans to cancel spring break, extend winter break, other spring semester logistics

The 2021 spring semester will potentially start one to two weeks late due to an extended winter break, according to Speaker of the Faculty Senate Christopher Johns-Krull. Johns-Krull said at the Student Association Senate meeting on Sep. 21 that there will also likely not be a weeklong spring break during the semester, but a potential for intermittent holidays spread out either during the weekdays or through three-day weekends.