Thursday, May 06, 2021 — Houston, TX 86°

Overload petition process should be more flexible

By Thresher Editorial Board     1/18/17 8:00am

This week at the Student Association Senate, the Approval Threshold Committee presented their recommendations for changes to the overload petition process in light of the credit hour cap (see p. 2). Though the recommendations have not been finalized, the Thresher supports the committee’s work in providing a flexible solution to a process that currently feels cumbersome and bureaucratic.

As the committee is working on presenting more tangible details in their recommendations, we would like to suggest some possible improvements to the current system for consideration. For instance, in the spirit of doing away with rigid guidelines, perhaps involving the professors or college masters of the student seeking an overload petition directly in the process or allowing them to write letters of recommendation could allow for more equitable decisions.

Another point of concern is the appeals process: It is crucial that any appeals to overload petitions are considered by an entirely different group than the one that denied the petition in the first place.

Furthermore, we do not believe administrative offices should be the sole entities reviewing the program on a regular basis, because without direct student input, we do not think it is likely that problems will be identified and rectified.

As the Approval Threshold Committee finalizes their recommendations and presents them in February to President Leebron and Provost Miranda, we encourage the student body to reach out to the committee in the meantime with their own suggestions and concerns, thus making sure that a greater diversity of opinion is represented in the process.

We also hope that these changes are followed up with future efforts to review course loads for heavier majors such as those in engineering, to ensure that the credit hour limit does not impose an unreasonable burden on any student.

From the Editor’s Desk: Journalism takes a village

Remember that we are fellow students seeking to deliver truth to the community with the best intentions in mind. I am deeply appreciative of every student, staff member, faculty and administrator that has shared their stories, data and viewpoints with me. Without the Rice community’s buy-in, the important work we do would not be possible. 

Refocus STRIVE to fulfill its original purpose

As a Students Turning Rice Into a Violence-Free Environment liaison, the organization and its mission are incredibly important to me. I originally joined because, as a survivor myself, I wanted to be a part of facilitating safe spaces on campus through educating my peers and acting as a resource to provide support. STRIVE cares a lot about the student body and puts an extreme number of hours into raising awareness and making themselves accessible, as we have seen with the recent survivor panels, college-specific events throughout the year and their response to an anonymous 2019 Thresher opinion. However, we need to readjust how STRIVE is not only viewed and utilized by the student body but also how it is run. The place the organization holds now oversteps into the lives of liaisons and other students and goes beyond what they set out to do with their mission statement.