Wednesday, August 10, 2022 — Houston, TX

Health director passes away

By Emily Abdow     1/10/17 9:46pm

Stacy Ware, who served as the director of Student Health Services, died of cancer during winter break.

Ware’s battle with cancer lasted for over a year, according to an email sent by Dean of Undergraduates John Hutchinson to several staff members. She underwent treatment and returned to work with a positive prognosis, but left after a recent recurrence. Ware began working for Student Health Services in 1988. In 2015, with the departure of Mark Jenkins, she became director.

In the email, Hutchinson remembered Ware’s dedication to supporting nursing her staff. Hutchinson also remembered Ware’s optimism and excellence in providing health care for Rice students.

“I can say with confidence that Stacy loved working at Rice and loved caring for Rice students. She worked with a smile on her face but was unafraid to confront the various challenges that arose during her times as associate director and director,” Hutchinson wrote. “I will deeply miss her enthusiasm, her spirit, her compassion, her intellect, and of course, her talent as a physician.”

Michigan professor Amy Dittmar named Rice’s next provost

Amy Dittmar, the senior vice provost for academic and budgetary affairs and a professor of economics and finance at the University of Michigan, has been selected as Rice’s new provost, incoming president Reginald DesRoches announced Thursday. DesRoches, the current provost, will become Rice’s president on July 1, and Dittmar will start August 1.

SA drafts formal complaint against Chi Alpha after discrimination accusations

The Student Association executive board drafted a formal complaint against the Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship to present to University Court for violation of the SA Constitution nondiscrimination policy that every Rice organization is required to adhere to. This complaint comes in light of the recently published Thresher article, where several students shared their experience with discrimation within the club on the basis of sexual orientation.