Administration, SA seek student input on Rice’s future

By Amber Tong     1/10/17 9:45pm

In response to Rice University President David Leebron’s call for student participation in the Second Vision for the Second Century, the Student Association Senate introduced legislation at its Jan. 9 meeting to create a committee that will seek input on student values and priorities, and is currently soliciting applications for five members.

V2C2 is a priority-setting initiative and fundraising campaign intended to follow up the first Student Vision for the Second Century in 2012. SA Director of External Affairs Constantine Tzouanas, a Wiess College sophomore, and External Vice President Hannah Todd, a Wiess junior, will be the co-chairs of the committee.

A 10-point plan emerged from Leebron’s first Vision for the Second Century initiative in 2012. The areas of emphasis included research and scholarship, holistic education, graduate programs, institutional collaboration, interdisciplinary projects and investments in the Baker Institute and Rice’s professional programs.

Other parts of the vision included expanding the university’s size, highlighting Rice as an international university with a focus on Asia and Latin America, investing in spaces and facilities for campus and increasing partnerships with Houston organizations.

Due to the Student Association constitutional requirement for a one-week waiting period between legislation introduction and voting, the SA Senate has not yet held an official vote to approve the committee, but will do so next week. If approved, the committee is set to present its findings to the president’s office and the Board of Trustees in March.

At the Senate meeting, Todd said she encourages all undergraduates to apply. Committee members will collect information on students’ current views as well as their goals for the university.

“It is really an exciting opportunity for all of us,” Todd said. “In the past [Vision for the Second Century] has played a very important role in defining areas where we see gaps, and areas we hold dear.”

The applications are available on the SA Facebook page and until Jan. 16.