Friday, February 23, 2024 — Houston, TX

Media studies minor relevant today

By Gordon Hughes and Lida Oukaderova     11/2/16 8:00am

To the Editors,

While we were happy to read Huizi Yu’s report on the new minor in cinema and media studies published on Oct. 26, Ruby Pan’s comment that the minor “seems useless in the real world” was an unfortunate conclusion to the piece. While there are certainly many careers (director, critic, media executive, historian and designer, to name a few) that relate directly to media studies as a field of study, the program is most urgently relevant for our broader experience as citizens. In an era in which many people spend more time looking at screens than live human faces, and in which a reality TV star is a major-party candidate for president, the need for deep critical thinking about media has never been more pressing. We invite Ruby to visit our courses and reconsider her ideas about the kinds of skills and knowledge that are useful in today’s world.

Gordon Hughes, Associate Professor of Art History

Lida Oukaderova, Assistant Professor of Art History

Jae Kim for SA president

Due to his previous successful initiatives, desire to correct flaws within the Student Association and passion for student advocacy, we, the Thresher Editorial Board, endorse Jae Kim for SA president.

Chelsea Asibbey for SA secretary

In a rather rare contested election, the Student Association has two candidates on the upcoming ballot for secretary: Chelsea Asibbey and Calla Doh. Due to her fresh perspective outside of the Student Association, willingness to take initiative on her own ideas and emphasis on serving Rice communities, we, the Thresher Editorial Board, endorse Chelsea Asibbey for SA secretary.