Monday, April 06, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Media studies minor relevant today

By Gordon Hughes and Lida Oukaderova     11/2/16 8:00am

To the Editors,

While we were happy to read Huizi Yu’s report on the new minor in cinema and media studies published on Oct. 26, Ruby Pan’s comment that the minor “seems useless in the real world” was an unfortunate conclusion to the piece. While there are certainly many careers (director, critic, media executive, historian and designer, to name a few) that relate directly to media studies as a field of study, the program is most urgently relevant for our broader experience as citizens. In an era in which many people spend more time looking at screens than live human faces, and in which a reality TV star is a major-party candidate for president, the need for deep critical thinking about media has never been more pressing. We invite Ruby to visit our courses and reconsider her ideas about the kinds of skills and knowledge that are useful in today’s world.

Gordon Hughes, Associate Professor of Art History

Lida Oukaderova, Assistant Professor of Art History

A call to revive, revamp and maintain Rice culture(s)

When we ran for our Student Association executive team positions and defined our platforms, we did not anticipate the arrival of COVID-19. Due to these unusual circumstances, we as members of the executive team have been rapidly thrust into our roles. We have relayed student concerns to administrators and have made an effort to amplify student voices as much as possible. We have been strategizing how we can best communicate with all of the Rice community during the coming weeks as we resume our virtual classwork. But throughout it all, one question has remained on our minds: How can we establish and maintain an intimate, engaging Rice culture and connection while members of the Rice community are so physically distant from each other?   

To professors and students alike: please lower your standards

Last week, we urged the administration to grant students academic accommodations in light of the unprecedented era we are existing in. That happened the next day, when the Faculty Senate voted unanimously in favor of a series of motions intended to alleviate the weight of academics on undergraduates this semester, including one that allows students to designate all courses this semester pass/fail. We applaud the administration for taking such an important step in doing right by students as we try to navigate the rest of our semester remotely.