Leebron says Rice’s increasing diversity shows its strength at State of the University Senate meeting

president_leebron_col_yutian_liu
Photo by unknown | and unknown The Rice Thresher

By Drew Keller     11/9/16 12:23pm

Rice President David Leebron presented his State of the University report to the Student Association Senate meeting Monday evening.

Leebron said the university has grown stronger over the past decade, evidenced by the more than doubling of the number of applicants and the increased diversity of the student body. While the enrollment in the school of engineering has doubled over the past 10 years, that of other schools has been constant.

The town hall ended with a question-and-answer session, during which Leebron responded to questions from the crowd regarding topics such as sustainability, the relationship between the student body and Student Judicial programs and undergraduate teaching.

SA drafts formal complaint against Chi Alpha after discrimination accusations

The Student Association executive board drafted a formal complaint against the Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship to present to University Court for violation of the SA Constitution nondiscrimination policy that every Rice organization is required to adhere to. This complaint comes in light of the recently published Thresher article, where several students shared their experience with discrimation within the club on the basis of sexual orientation.