Monday, April 06, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Sexual desire and depression

By Dustin James     10/5/16 8:02am

Re: the “low sexual desire reader” (assuming it is not a joke). Lack of a “target rich environment,” or whatever, may not be the reason for the reader’s low sexual desire. Depression and anxiety can lead to low sexual desire. Being young and healthy sexually does not preclude depression and/or anxiety from affecting you. Reading that Rice is a “happy place” does not make it easier to admit that one might be depressed or anxious if it is not already obvious. “Everyone else is happy, why am I sad?” I suggest the reader and others having such feelings see a counselor, exercise and eat healthy. I am speaking from personal experience.

Regards,

Dustin K. James, Ph.D., Research scientist/Laboratory manager, Chemistry dept. and NanoCarbon Center

A call to revive, revamp and maintain Rice culture(s)

When we ran for our Student Association executive team positions and defined our platforms, we did not anticipate the arrival of COVID-19. Due to these unusual circumstances, we as members of the executive team have been rapidly thrust into our roles. We have relayed student concerns to administrators and have made an effort to amplify student voices as much as possible. We have been strategizing how we can best communicate with all of the Rice community during the coming weeks as we resume our virtual classwork. But throughout it all, one question has remained on our minds: How can we establish and maintain an intimate, engaging Rice culture and connection while members of the Rice community are so physically distant from each other?   

To professors and students alike: please lower your standards

Last week, we urged the administration to grant students academic accommodations in light of the unprecedented era we are existing in. That happened the next day, when the Faculty Senate voted unanimously in favor of a series of motions intended to alleviate the weight of academics on undergraduates this semester, including one that allows students to designate all courses this semester pass/fail. We applaud the administration for taking such an important step in doing right by students as we try to navigate the rest of our semester remotely.