Thursday, August 22, 2019 — Houston, TX 80°

Sexual desire and depression

By Dustin James     10/5/16 8:02am

Re: the “low sexual desire reader” (assuming it is not a joke). Lack of a “target rich environment,” or whatever, may not be the reason for the reader’s low sexual desire. Depression and anxiety can lead to low sexual desire. Being young and healthy sexually does not preclude depression and/or anxiety from affecting you. Reading that Rice is a “happy place” does not make it easier to admit that one might be depressed or anxious if it is not already obvious. “Everyone else is happy, why am I sad?” I suggest the reader and others having such feelings see a counselor, exercise and eat healthy. I am speaking from personal experience.

Regards,

Dustin K. James, Ph.D., Research scientist/Laboratory manager, Chemistry dept. and NanoCarbon Center

Companies need to remember the inclusion part of diversity and inclusion

Companies should strive to go beyond “quotas” for underrepresented groups as their measure of diversity and inclusion. Diversity and inclusion are reflected in how marginalized groups are treated by others, the opportunities available to these groups and the amount of respect given to a person’s voice. Even if a company has an equal demographic split, can they really say they are diverse or inclusive if select people experience bias or lack opportunities for success?