Wednesday, May 12, 2021 — Houston, TX 63°

Sexual desire and depression

By Dustin James     10/5/16 8:02am

Re: the “low sexual desire reader” (assuming it is not a joke). Lack of a “target rich environment,” or whatever, may not be the reason for the reader’s low sexual desire. Depression and anxiety can lead to low sexual desire. Being young and healthy sexually does not preclude depression and/or anxiety from affecting you. Reading that Rice is a “happy place” does not make it easier to admit that one might be depressed or anxious if it is not already obvious. “Everyone else is happy, why am I sad?” I suggest the reader and others having such feelings see a counselor, exercise and eat healthy. I am speaking from personal experience.

Regards,

Dustin K. James, Ph.D., Research scientist/Laboratory manager, Chemistry dept. and NanoCarbon Center

From the Editor’s Desk: Journalism takes a village

Remember that we are fellow students seeking to deliver truth to the community with the best intentions in mind. I am deeply appreciative of every student, staff member, faculty and administrator that has shared their stories, data and viewpoints with me. Without the Rice community’s buy-in, the important work we do would not be possible. 

Refocus STRIVE to fulfill its original purpose

As a Students Turning Rice Into a Violence-Free Environment liaison, the organization and its mission are incredibly important to me. I originally joined because, as a survivor myself, I wanted to be a part of facilitating safe spaces on campus through educating my peers and acting as a resource to provide support. STRIVE cares a lot about the student body and puts an extreme number of hours into raising awareness and making themselves accessible, as we have seen with the recent survivor panels, college-specific events throughout the year and their response to an anonymous 2019 Thresher opinion. However, we need to readjust how STRIVE is not only viewed and utilized by the student body but also how it is run. The place the organization holds now oversteps into the lives of liaisons and other students and goes beyond what they set out to do with their mission statement.