Friday, February 23, 2024 — Houston, TX

Sexual desire and depression

By Dustin James     10/5/16 8:02am

Re: the “low sexual desire reader” (assuming it is not a joke). Lack of a “target rich environment,” or whatever, may not be the reason for the reader’s low sexual desire. Depression and anxiety can lead to low sexual desire. Being young and healthy sexually does not preclude depression and/or anxiety from affecting you. Reading that Rice is a “happy place” does not make it easier to admit that one might be depressed or anxious if it is not already obvious. “Everyone else is happy, why am I sad?” I suggest the reader and others having such feelings see a counselor, exercise and eat healthy. I am speaking from personal experience.

Regards,

Dustin K. James, Ph.D., Research scientist/Laboratory manager, Chemistry dept. and NanoCarbon Center

Jae Kim for SA president

Due to his previous successful initiatives, desire to correct flaws within the Student Association and passion for student advocacy, we, the Thresher Editorial Board, endorse Jae Kim for SA president.

Chelsea Asibbey for SA secretary

In a rather rare contested election, the Student Association has two candidates on the upcoming ballot for secretary: Chelsea Asibbey and Calla Doh. Due to her fresh perspective outside of the Student Association, willingness to take initiative on her own ideas and emphasis on serving Rice communities, we, the Thresher Editorial Board, endorse Chelsea Asibbey for SA secretary.