Wednesday, August 10, 2022 — Houston, TX

Student Association introduces resolution supporting security cameras

By Emily Abdow     9/13/16 10:00pm

The Student Association introduced Resolution #2 on Student Feedback on the Policy for Implementation of Security Cameras on Campus on Monday. The resolution affirms the SA’s support of camera implementation but also notes student concerns collected from an survey sent out by the Student Association in August.

Concerns about implementation include possible privacy breaches, a loss of cultural liberty at colleges, the use of footage by organizations such as University Court and Student Judicial Programs, the future misinterpretation of the policy and the cybersecurity of the footage.

Specific recommendations made by the SA include defining the term “common spaces” including a residential college commons that should be subject to higher scrutiny before implementation of cameras.

Additional recommendations include establishing a more organized process for reviewing recordings than the current “randomly review[ing],” defining when cameras can be viewed in “real time,” elaborating on repercussions for violating the policy and stating that the Chief of Police and Security Systems Manager consult with residential college government on camera placement.

The SA resolution also contains a preamble regarding the mutual trust between all stakeholders and lists priorities for the policy including effectiveness, privacy, transparency, security, continuity, specificity and accountability.

Hanszen College President Kenny Groszman, who introduced the resolution along with four other members of the SA, said that he and his fellow committee members met with President Kevin Kirby, Dean of Undergraduates John Hutchinson and Rice University Police Department Chief Johnny Whitehead on Friday to discuss the SA recommendations.

“It was a really productive meeting,” Groszman, a senior, said. “They verbally agreed to make a lot of changes to reflect our opinion.”

He said the resolution will continue to be discussed and amended in the next two weeks.

“The spirit of the policy is not only to keep the campus safe but also to foster this trusting relationship between administration, the students and RUPD that is fundamental to the way Rice works,” Groszman said.

Michigan professor Amy Dittmar named Rice’s next provost

Amy Dittmar, the senior vice provost for academic and budgetary affairs and a professor of economics and finance at the University of Michigan, has been selected as Rice’s new provost, incoming president Reginald DesRoches announced Thursday. DesRoches, the current provost, will become Rice’s president on July 1, and Dittmar will start August 1.

SA drafts formal complaint against Chi Alpha after discrimination accusations

The Student Association executive board drafted a formal complaint against the Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship to present to University Court for violation of the SA Constitution nondiscrimination policy that every Rice organization is required to adhere to. This complaint comes in light of the recently published Thresher article, where several students shared their experience with discrimation within the club on the basis of sexual orientation.