Moody Center for the Arts opening date announced for February

moody_center_col_yutian_liu

By Emily Abdow     9/6/16 11:26pm

The opening ceremony for Rice University’s Moody Center for the Arts is set for Feb. 24, according to Executive Director Allison Weaver. The Center, which cost a total of $30 million to create, was supported by a $20 million grant from the Moody Foundation in addition to the the Brown Foundation and others.

Open to the public, the center will focus on providing a space for integrating the arts, sciences and humanities. Architect Michael Maltzan designed the 50,000-square-foot center to include an “interdisciplinary maker lab” with resources such as wood and metal shops, prototyping areas, audiovisual editing booths and a technology lending library. In addition, the center will house an art gallery, black-box theater, experimental performance gallery and a cafe.

According to Weaver, Mona Hatoum will be the Moody Center’s first artist-in-residence. Hatoum is a Palestinian artist whose art, including sculpture, installation and performance video, is on exhibition at London’s Tate Modern. During her residency at the Moody Center, she will work on her first major United States exhibition in 20 years.

In a Rice News story, Rice University President David Leebron said the Moody Center represents Rice’s commitment to the arts.

“We are today equally proud of our dedication to and success in the arts and humanities [as engineering and science],” Leebron said. “[Arts] contribute in essential ways to every education and every intellectual endeavor.”

Michigan professor Amy Dittmar named Rice’s next provost

Amy Dittmar, the senior vice provost for academic and budgetary affairs and a professor of economics and finance at the University of Michigan, has been selected as Rice’s new provost, incoming president Reginald DesRoches announced Thursday. DesRoches, the current provost, will become Rice’s president on July 1, and Dittmar will start August 1.

SA drafts formal complaint against Chi Alpha after discrimination accusations

The Student Association executive board drafted a formal complaint against the Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship to present to University Court for violation of the SA Constitution nondiscrimination policy that every Rice organization is required to adhere to. This complaint comes in light of the recently published Thresher article, where several students shared their experience with discrimation within the club on the basis of sexual orientation.