Hannah Todd appointed interim Student Association external vice president

hannahtodd

By Drew Keller     4/6/16 1:16am

Former Wiess College Senator Hannah Todd was appointed interim external vice president of the Student Association by an SA Senate vote March 30.

Todd, a sophomore, came in second in the general election race for EVP to former Sid Richardson College Senator Justin Onwenu. Before taking office, Onwenu decided to step down as EVP-elect for personal reasons.

The candidates to be the replacement EVP will be announced at Wednesday’s Senate meeting and an election to fill the role will take place next week, according to SA President Griffin Thomas. The election will be open to all undergraduates, Thomas, a Lovett College senior, said.

Thomas said he had been taking on the responsibilities of both president and EVP since Onwenu’s resignation, but decided the appointment of an interim officer was necessary to carry out the role’s responsibilities.

“It’s gotten to the point that I can’t do both effectively,” Thomas said. “We tossed around a few names and [Todd]’s name just stuck.”

As interim EVP, Todd is helping the new senators begin projects.

“I am honored to have been appointed to the position but cognizant of the bittersweet situation surrounding the appointment,” she said.

SA drafts formal complaint against Chi Alpha after discrimination accusations

The Student Association executive board drafted a formal complaint against the Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship to present to University Court for violation of the SA Constitution nondiscrimination policy that every Rice organization is required to adhere to. This complaint comes in light of the recently published Thresher article, where several students shared their experience with discrimation within the club on the basis of sexual orientation.