Monday, September 28, 2020 — Houston, TX °

SA candidates: do your research, and collaborate

By Makenzie Drukker     2/12/16 6:16pm

To the candidates for Student Association executive positions,

My name is Makenzie Drukker and I currently serve as the Chair of Rice University Court. I was recently reading through your candidate blurbs and discovered something concerning. Justin Onwenu, a candidate for External Vice President, does not know what University Court does. This affliction is common among Rice students. However, one of my goals this year has been to promote student outreach and student knowledge of judicial resources, so I feel obligated to try to remedy this problem.

University Court is a 17-member student panel that adjudicates cases under the Code of Student Conduct and the Alcohol Policy. As the judicial organ of the Student Association, it also has the power to adjudicate cases arising from the SA itself. Further, it serves to create a line of communication between students and administrators.

If the language of that last sentence sounds familiar, you may recognize it from Justin Onwenu’s campaign statement, in which he pledged to “establish greater lines of communication between students and faculty on alcohol, honor-code, and SJP policies.” He reiterated this same pledge several times during the SA Debates on Friday. I am still not sure how Onwenu plans to accomplish this goal, but it seems to me that utilizing existing campus resources — like University Court and Honor Council — would be the easiest and most efficient way to do so. It would delight me to tell you that Onwenu’s campaign promises were not empty, and that he has in fact been working diligently with me to achieve his goal. Unfortunately, that is not true. Onwenu has never approached the University Court.

I am disappointed that a candidate for such an important office would make this promise without having done any of the research or the work to get the ball rolling. I would hate to see SA resources wasted in creating a subcommittee or an advisory board when consultation with an existing body (and major stakeholder) could have solved the problem just as easily. If I may, I would like to suggest two ways for you to make the most of your terms, should you win your respective races.

Do your research, and collaborate. There exists a plethora of resources on this campus, and so many are under-utilized. As an executive member of the SA, I hope that you will gather as much information as possible, and as much input from stakeholders as possible, before you begin any project. It is more work for you, but it will ultimately benefit your project and your constituents. After you have done your research, collaborate! During the SA Debates, many of you promised to make an active effort to work with Colleges and student organizations; I hope that promise is not empty. With the number of student organizations on this campus, there is no reason any organization should have to take on a major project by itself. Some organizations tend to be closed to cooperation, but I can promise you that University Court is willing and ready to work with you.

I truly hope you will take this advice into consideration, and I wish you the best of luck in your elections.

Sincerely,

Makenzie K. Drukker, University Court Chair

Houston youth: Overcome barriers and take over the polls

Despite the structural barriers facing many young people and people of color, often in tandem, we are ready to show up to the polls and make an impact on our communities this November... If you are a young Houstonian, join the movement to change the narrative that we are civically apathetic: get informed, register to vote, go to the polls and volunteer with local nonprofits or campaigns. 

Say something: Administration should respond to Willy’s statue sit-ins

Rice administration has yet to publicly respond to the demonstrations to remove Willy’s statue that began in the academic quad three weeks ago. Shifa Rahman, the first student to begin protesting regularly and primary organizer of the sit-ins, says administration has not reached out to address the situation in a private fashion either. As more students join the “Down with Willy” cause, pressure is mounting for the administration to respond. Why have they stayed silent for so long?  

Hands off Belarus: What can we do across the ocean

September 11, 2020. We are standing on a sidewalk by a skyscraper near West Loop 610. Around 40 people came to this protest, all dressed in red and white colors. We are waving red and white flags. Songs in Belarusian, Russian and English are playing from the speakers. Many cars passing by are honking and their drivers are waving to us. Along the freeway, there are boards and placards with signs: “Putin Keep Out of Belarus,” “Stop Violence In Belarus” and “Long Live Belarus.”