Thursday, May 06, 2021 — Houston, TX 81°

Hannah Todd for Student Association External Vice President

hannahtodd

By Thresher Editorial Board     2/15/16 1:02am

All three Student Association external vice president candidates brought big ideas to the table during Friday’s debates. Sid Richardson College sophomore Justin Onwenu showed interest in improving the relationship between students and Student Judicial Programs, Wiess College sophomore Hannah Todd planned to address meal plan structuring issues and Hanszen College sophomore Brianna Singh hoped to take the SA beyond the hedges. Of all three, though, Todd emerged as the candidate with the greatest ability to understand and realize students’ interests.

Todd’s record speaks for itself. She demonstrated a willingness to work between the student body and Housing and Dining which produced tangible results, including earlier servery start times. Todd has proven herself capable in reaching out to students and other members of the Rice community, while also being acutely aware of potential obstacles that may arise in the process. Her experience as New Student Representative and her successful tenure as Wiess senator both indicate she is more than qualified to serve the role of mentor to future senators as EVP.

While Onwenu has bold ideas, he has not shown the same knowledge of existing campus programs and experience with administration as Todd. His desire to work with SJP shows a lack of appreciation for University Court as the existing avenue for communication with the student body and of bureaucratic realities. Todd’s ideas for restructuring the meal plan are comparable to Onwenu’s, and students can be confident that she has the ability to implement them, as evidenced by her prior accomplishments with H&D. Singh’s plans for publicizing the SA, while important, are reflective of her experiences as SA secretary, and her platform's lack of other specific initiatives reveal her unfamiliarity with the responsibilities the EVP role entails, such as mentoring and empowering senators.

Todd has shown herself to be the kind of goal-oriented, collaborative leader the student body needs as EVP. We trust her to both help the senators be more effective and act as an honest check on the presidency.

Todd has previously written for the Rice Thresher as a staff writer.

From the Editor’s Desk: Journalism takes a village

Remember that we are fellow students seeking to deliver truth to the community with the best intentions in mind. I am deeply appreciative of every student, staff member, faculty and administrator that has shared their stories, data and viewpoints with me. Without the Rice community’s buy-in, the important work we do would not be possible. 

Refocus STRIVE to fulfill its original purpose

As a Students Turning Rice Into a Violence-Free Environment liaison, the organization and its mission are incredibly important to me. I originally joined because, as a survivor myself, I wanted to be a part of facilitating safe spaces on campus through educating my peers and acting as a resource to provide support. STRIVE cares a lot about the student body and puts an extreme number of hours into raising awareness and making themselves accessible, as we have seen with the recent survivor panels, college-specific events throughout the year and their response to an anonymous 2019 Thresher opinion. However, we need to readjust how STRIVE is not only viewed and utilized by the student body but also how it is run. The place the organization holds now oversteps into the lives of liaisons and other students and goes beyond what they set out to do with their mission statement.