EVP candidate Brianna Singh advocates for more approachable Senators, off-campus outreach

sa_brianna2

By Abigail Panitz and Claire Weddle     2/15/16 9:13am

According to Brianna Singh’s platform, people are only as good as the community they live in, and she believes she can make the Rice community better as External Vice President. She served as a Hanszen College NSR and was Environmental Committee Co-Chair her freshman year. Currently, she serves as the SA Secretary.

As EVP, according to her platform, Singh hopes to encourage students and organizations to come to SA to advocate for change, to push senators to work on sustainable projects to impact Rice and to expand Rice’s standing in community beyond the hedges.

Singh is currently working on a resolution that reassesses how clubs are registered, approved and renewed. Singh said the idea for the resolution stemmed from her work on the the clubs approval committee, where she was struck by the high number of club applications.

Singh also mentioned in her platform that she wants to encourage senators to work on “sustainable, well-informed projects with impact on the Rice campus.”

“What I heard about a lot of the Senators’ projects this year is that they had a hard time finding topics they’re interested in,” Singh said. “I want to encourage more Senators to have office hours at their colleges so they can stay informed about what students are interested in and talking about problems students are facing on campus.”

Singh said another important issue to her is connecting with the Houston community. Singh said she advocates for more involvement in Houston since Rice gets so much community support through programs like Hedgehopper, a program where local businesses offer discounts to Rice students.

“We want to support the community around us because we get so much community support from them,” Singh said. “I’d like to expand the Hedgehopper program to more places Rice students go to. Right now it has a lot of places in the Village, and I’d like to keep expanding that.”

Singh also said she hopes to get the campus further involved in Houston politics.

“Another way to engage in the community would be with political activism,” Singh said. “That doesn’t mean the SA needs to pick a side. It would be interesting to have speakers come in and talk about both sides of an issue. You can get engaged with your community leaders who can make a change at the Houston level.”

7.5% acceptance rate marks lowest in Rice history

Rice admitted 2,439 students from 32,459 applicants March 26, according to Vice President for Enrollment Yvonne Romero da Silva. With a 7.5% admit rate, this is the third consecutive year of record-low acceptance rates. The Thresher previously reported 7.7% and 8.56% acceptance rates for the Class and 2027 and 2026 respectively.