Student health services issues warning on asp caterpillars following increase in EMS calls for venomous stings

5db0f34b7876fe679267ec4644a3e540
Photo by Courtesy Anastasia Bolshakov | The Rice Thresher
Asp caterpillar

11/4/15 3:49am

Squirrels are no longer the only species on campus that students should watch out for. According to Student Health Services, Rice Emergency Medical Services has handled a large number of cases of asp caterpillar stings over the past week. Asps, also known as flannel moths, reside primarily in trees and shrubs during the fall months and are characterized by their teardrop shape and yellowish or reddish brown fur. But don’t be fooled by their furry appearance. Asps are coated with venomous spines that sting the skin upon contact, causing a painful rash. 

Health Services said that if stung by an asp, it is best to rinse the affected area with soap and water, use tape to pull out remaining hairs, apply ice to the area, take an oral antihistamine (such as Benadryl) and apply a topical hydrocortisone. If the symptoms persist or are more severe, such as shortness of breath, Health Services said EMS should be called immediately. Those with a history of allergies to insects should seek immediate care. 

Dean of Undergraduates John Hutchinson warned the Rice community about the asps on his Facebook page.

“These things are quite unpleasant,” Hutchinson said.