Rice wins over UTEP volleyball 3-0

By Romil Patel     10/20/15 9:12pm

Coming off two straight losses to Middle Tennessee State University and the University of Texas, San Antonio, the Rice University women’s volleyball team rallied to defeat the University of Texas, El Paso in three sets (25-21, 25-18, 25-19). The win takes the Owls’ record to 14-7 overall and places them at sixth in the Conference USA standings.

Although Rice committed eight more errors (24-16) throughout the course of the game, they made up for it by winning the kill margin 51-28.  Senior right side hitter Kyley Reed and junior outside hitter Leah Mikesky led the team with 15 and 14 kills each. Reed hit at a 0.579 to lead all Rice players. Sophomore setter Madison McDaniel had 37 assists in three sets while senior libero Kimberly Vaio led all players with 16 digs. Senior outside hitter Noelle Whitlock also recorded four kills and 10 digs.

Rice struggled from the field throughout the game, hitting 0.208, but their defense held the Miners to 0.111. The first set was tight, with six ties off the bat. McDaniel then proceeded to catalyze a 5-1 run to help the Owls take the first set 25-21. Rice took the second and third set 25-18 and 25-19 as it held UTEP to a .000 hitting percentage in the final set.

According to Head Coach Genny Volpe, the team performed well in the match up but still needs to improve in key areas.

"Our offense was clicking and Kyley [Reed] played great,” Volpe said. “We still had too many errors that we need to clean up but overall it's always good to win in three, especially on the road."

The Owls will have a chance to get to 15 wins this season as they take on the University of North Texas in the annual Dig Pink match. North Texas currently sits in second place in C-USA behind Western Kentucky University. The game will be played at 6 p.m. on Oct. 21 at Tudor Fieldhouse.