Volleyball falls in Baylor Classic championship

508dbde1ac0fcb43822b09727ed8a766
Photo by 2015 Erik Williams | The Rice Thresher

Rice’s volleyball team celebrates after a win. The Owls are coming off a loss against Baylor University in the final of the Baylor Classic Tournament. Rice is now 10-4 heading into conference play. 

By Romil Patel     9/23/15 6:12pm

Coming off a win against Stephen F. Austin State University in the semifinals of the Baylor Classic Tournament, the Rice volleyball team looked to add to their string of success as they faced Baylor University in the final game of the Baylor Classic.

Rice started the game strong taking a 1-0 set lead, but Baylor rallied back to win the next three sets to take the match 3-1 (25-16, 15- 25, 24-26, 16-25).

Rice was outhit by the Bears .353-.214 and committed 10 more errors (21-11) throughout the course of the game. Senior libero Kimberly Vaio and junior outside hitter Leah Mikesky, who led both teams with 18 kills, earned a spot on the All-Tournament Team. Senior outside hitter Noelle Whitlock recorded a double-double with 10 kills and 14 digs, while freshman setter Julianna Dole had 44 assists, raising her total of 40-assist games to three.

The Owls looked like they could take the third set when the score was 23-21, but the momentum shifted. Baylor proceeded to score five of the next six points to take the set 26-24. After losing the third set, the Owls hit only .135 in the fourth set and lost the final set 25-15.

According to Head Coach Genny Volpe, the team could not capitalize on their opportunities.

“Baylor played well and attacked us from all areas of the net,” Volpe said. “We had opportunities to close out set three and Baylor kept pushing back. The third set loss drained us a bit and we didn't respond well in set four.” Despite the loss in the final, Volpe said the team improved over the weekend on the defensive side.

“I am proud of how hard we fought defensively,” Volpe said. “We made some strides there this weekend for sure.”

Prior to the match-up with Baylor, Rice had defeated Stephen F. Austin and the University of North Carolina, Greensboro to advance to the final game.

The Owls will have a few days to regroup and get ready for the University of Texas, San Antonio, who come into town on Tuesday. Following the match, Rice will face Florida International University on Friday, Sept. 25 at 6 p.m. at Tudor Fieldhouse.