Wednesday, May 08, 2024 — Houston, TX

Band logistics dictated Sid '80s date

9/11/15 7:19am

The ‘80s are coming just a day earlier this year. Sid '80s will be held today, the same day as Screw-Yer-Roommate, instead of Saturday due to scheduling issues with the party’s live band, Molly & the Ringwalds, according to Sid Richardson College President Lauren Schmidt.

“The live band is booked six months in advance,” Schmidt, a senior, said. “We use the same band each year. We have a good relationship with them, and they’re a part of what we love about [Sid] ‘80s.”

Schmidt said the lead singer of Molly & the Ringwalds was due to have a baby soon, and a replacement vocalist was only available during weekdays.

“[The rescheduling] had to happen to preserve the party’s culture,” Schmidt said.

Typically, Screw-Yer-Roommate and associated festivities occupy all of Friday evening. Schmidt said she is unsure of how the rescheduling of Sid ‘80s will affect turnout or reception.

“I don’t think [the Sid Richardson socials, who plan the party,] realized Screw was the same day,” Schmidt said. “We were focused on scheduling the band. I’m guessing there might be more turnout, or maybe more people will come with a group already. We’ll probably have more costumes than usual from a different century though.”