Wednesday, May 22, 2024 — Houston, TX

Beer Bike 2016 date moved due to Easter conflict

By Amber Tong     7/23/15 7:42am

Due to conflict with Easter, next year’s Beer Bike will take place during the third, rather than the last, weekend of March, according to Dixita Viswanath, president of the Rice Program Council, which organizes the event.

“This year Easter falls on March 27, 2016,” Viswanath, a Will Rice College senior, said. “Since Beer Bike was originally scheduled for March 26, we did not want Beer Bike to conflict with Easter to allow the maximum number of students to attend. As a result, we moved Beer Bike to March 19, 2016.”

The date change will encourage participation and accommodate visiting alumni, according to Viswanath.

“We know many alumni return to campus for Beer Bike,” Viswanath said. “We did not want to deter or prevent attendance at the event since we know many people tend to have plans for Easter weekend.”

According to Viswanath, RPC Executive Board discussed the decision with Student Activities. She said RPC has always strived to be inclusionary in its event planning.

“RPC does its best to schedule events keeping major religious holidays in mind to give the entire undergraduate student body equal opportunity to attend our events,” Viswanath said. “For example, [two] years ago Screw–Yer–Roommate was moved in order to accommodate Yom Kippur.”

Jones School breaks ground on new expansion, final project to wrap up spring 2026

The Jones Graduate School of Business will expand its building, constructing an additional 95,000 square feet around McNair Hall. Rice Business announced blueprint plans for the new $54.5 million building at its groundbreaking May 9. The new building will include multiple large classrooms, lecture halls, dining facilities, event spaces and communal areas, designed to “blend seamlessly with the campus and its surroundings.”

Audrey’s closes in advance of Jones School expansion

After four years of operation in McNair Hall, Audrey’s closed May 10 prior to the Jones Graduate School of Business expansion. The original Audrey’s space will be cleaved by a wall during construction, Niken Prabanto, co-owner of Greenway Coffee Company, which oversees Audrey’s, said.