SA passes 40K, splits on NROTC

By Drew Keller     2/3/15 2:08pm

The Student Association Senate finalized the allocation of $40,540.92 of blanket tax money at the Senate meeting last Wednesday and rejected an initiative that would have granted NROTC midshipmen guaranteed on-campus housing. Following a deliberative process starting in the fall, the SA unanimously approved Resolution #7, which distributes the funds to the Rice Environmental Society, Queer Resource Center, Rice Emergency Medical Services, Rice Bikes and a Student Initiative Fund. 

The second piece of legislation the Senate considered was “Midshipmen Housing.” This bill proposed reserving on-campus housing for Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps midshipmen in a similar manner as EMS’s housing guarantee. The legislation received an equal number of votes for and against. However, the SA constitution requires a two-thirds majority for resolution approval, and the legislation was not passed.

SA drafts formal complaint against Chi Alpha after discrimination accusations

The Student Association executive board drafted a formal complaint against the Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship to present to University Court for violation of the SA Constitution nondiscrimination policy that every Rice organization is required to adhere to. This complaint comes in light of the recently published Thresher article, where several students shared their experience with discrimation within the club on the basis of sexual orientation.