Thursday, May 28, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Letter to the Editor: Conflict was not my intent

By Jeremy Reiskind     2/24/15 6:00pm

The Feb. 18 edition of the Thresher ran a front-page article describing a walkout of an event I organized. I do not believe the article fully explained the original intent of the event, which is crucial for its context. The event was focused on Jewish students who would enjoy the opportunity to hear personal stories from reserve soldiers in the Israeli Defense Force. 

The event was advertised as such until I became aware, the day before, that the audience would include more than just Jewish students. With this new knowledge, I tried to change the event into more of a question-and-answer where the soldiers would speak for only a few minutes and the remaining time would be allotted for members of the audience to ask questions. I never believed, which may be a little naive, that the original intent of this event would ever spark a conflict among the Rice community. My favorite thing about this university is that all students are allowed to have different views, and that we can appreciate one another’s views and engage in civil conversation. Peace takes conversation from differing views, and I strongly believe Rice is a campus where this can happen. 

Jeremy Reiskind, Duncan College, Class of 2017

Rice mandates mask-wearing, shares vision to reopen campus

Rice announced the health protocols, which will be in place starting June 1 until further notice, in an email to students yesterday. Leebron had previously shared a $10 million budget gap caused by COVID-19 and the potential for full-time employees to be furloughed in a town hall on Friday.

Don’t overlook Black lives in pandemic solidarity

The COVID-19 pandemic seems to have given rise to a new phrase that has been thrown around by media outlets and social media users across the country: “We are all in this together.” Don’t get me wrong — I am not denying the fact that every person in this country has been impacted by the virus in some capacity, and I am certainly not denying the rise in local expressions of solidarity. Over the past couple months, we’ve seen students and volunteers across the country donate their time and resources to help their neighbors.  Young people have come together on social media platforms to address issues surrounding mental health and online learning, creating a sense of community while also practicing social distancing. I am not denying the presence of solidarity. What I would like to discuss, however, is the fallacy of solidarity in a racialized society.