Friday, May 03, 2024 — Houston, TX

Rice Smash Community hosts its first large tournament

By Jeremy Huang     10/28/14 4:38pm

The Rice University Smash Community raised over $100 for charity in its first Super Smash Bros. tournament, which took place Oct. 21 at the Rice Memorial Center Grand Hall lobby.

The tournament’s presence was a surprise to people passing by, said observer Benito Aranda-Comer.

“I thought it was pretty funny,” Baker sophomore Aranda-Comer said. “Tons of people love [Super Smash Bros.] and grew up playing it. I wanted to jump in but didn’t know it was a tournament! [Laughs.]”

According to tournament operator Brian Lee, the turnout of 23 contestants was significant because all proceeds from the $5 entry fee, in addition to a prior allowance given to Rice Smash Community, went towards the American Cancer Society.

Lee said participants competed in either or both of two editions of Nintendo fighting game Super Smash Bros.

“21 competed in [Super Smash Bros. Melee for GameCube] and 11 in [Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS], ” Lee said.

According to Lee, spectators watched simultaneous matches on four TVs, with each match’s winner advancing closer to the semifinal and final rounds, where a handful of survivors fought for last-player-standing in the two respective games.

Lee said Jones College junior Michael Peirce and McMurtry College junior Bo Kim , respective winners of the 3DS and Melee tournament brackets, as well as Melee runner-up Brown College sophomore Conor Beck, won gift cards donated by The Chocolate Bar in Rice village.

Lee said the Super Smash Bros. series has widespread appeal, and the Rice Smash Community welcomes all who wish to play.

“People enjoy playing the Smash games because everyone had fun memories playing as Link and Mario as kids, and as adults there's something special in the offline-only nature of these games,” Lee said. “Smashers in general are a fairly ragtag, community-driven group, and we at Rice are no different. If you want to play, ask anyone you want and, well, play!”