Saturday, September 26, 2020 — Houston, TX °

Conference assist leader credits team

By Sean Youn     10/7/14 4:51pm

Redshirt sophomore Sara Blasier, Rice University’s all-conference setter, has been playing volleyball for most of her life. Now midway into her second season on the team, Blasier is the Conference USA’s leading assister and has the fourth-most assists in the country.

Despite redshirting her first year, Blasier garnered recognition for her talent and leadership skills, earning accolades last season as a redshirt freshman. Blasier earned a spot at the Conference-USA Second Team and the C-USA All-Freshman Team, all while recording 10.3 assists per set as a setter.

According to Blasier, awards and accolades are appreciated but not necessary. Blasier also said she attributes the majority of her success to her teammates.

“It is nice to get noticed for doing a good job, but at the same time I don't really need it,” Blasier said. “I would credit most for my success to the passers on our team for getting me the ball and making my job as a setter a lot easier.”

Blasier said the most rewarding experience, however, was being given the team’s Most Improved Player award.

“I didn’t really expect [the award], but it shows that my teammates thought I grew a lot during the season, which is such a huge compliment to get since I value their opinions so much,” Blasier said.

According to Blasier, she and her teammates fostered a strong bond over the summer. Blasier said this was due, in part, to “The Program,” during which the team was trained by two Marine Officers.

“We became so close over the summer and especially bonded over The Program,” Blasier said. “It was great experience because we were dying, but dying together and pushing through it.”

According to Blasier, Head Coach Genny Volpe expects more from Blasier as a redshirt sophomore than she has in previous years.

“I think as a [redshirt] sophomore now, my coach definitely pushes me in practice and during games,” Blasier said. “She expects me to run things and be the main leader on the court.”

According to Blasier, varsity volleyball has had a positive impact on her undergraduate career.

“Volleyball has been a huge part of my life at Rice, and it allowed me to make so many great friends,” Blasier concluded. “To have a close bond with other girls is really awesome.”

Former Rice star runner turned ultramarathon champion

Think, for a moment, about how far 45 miles is. 15 times the distance around the outer loop. Almost the distance from Houston to Galveston. Not only did Rice alumna Nicole Mericle run 45 miles at the Grand Traverse Run Ultramarathon on Sept. 5, but she also won the entire female race in her first-ever ultramarathon race. 

IM sports adjust to distancing protocols

At Rice, weekends in fall are typically rife with uproarious cries from flag football players draped in their college’s colors. Camaraderie, competition and championship hopes brew amongst the teams as each game marks a new memory for the students to share. Although this year is marked by the absence of traditional intramural sports due to COVID-19, the passion students harbor for sport is still ever-present.  

Football freshmen adjust to student-athlete life

With numerous college football programs across the nation starting their season this past weekend, there has been an increased focus on freshmen football players who are transitioning to the rigor and toughness of college football while also trying to navigate through the precarious situation presented by the coronavirus pandemic.