News in Brief: University changes

9/4/14 8:51am

Rice offers Masters in Global Affairs

Beginning in fall 2015, Rice will begin offering a Master of Arts degree in Global Affairs, according to Gateway Administrator Abbey Godley. The Baker Institute for Public Policy and the department of Social Sciences combined efforts to create a program that would support international engagement. The first year of the program will focus on a theoretical approach, while the second year will allow students to form a concentration from either economy, security or development. Current Rice students have the opportunity to apply as part of a 4+1 program.

Kinder Institute hires new director

According to a press release, the Kinder Institute for Urban Research has hired urban planner William Fulton as its new director, effective this fall. Fulton is recognized for his work in California and previously worked as the director of the Planning Department for San Diego. His textbook on urban planning in California is the state’s standard textbook for urban planning. Fulton was also a senior fellow at the University of Southern California.

Vice Provost of Research resigns

Vice Provost for Research Vicki Colvin resigned from her post in summer 2014 and accepted a position as the provost at Brown University. Colvin worked at Rice for almost 18 years, beginning as an assistant professor of chemistry. Director of the Institute of Biosciences and Bioengineering Yousif Shamoo was appointed the new Vice Provost for Research effective July 1. Shamoo has been at Rice for almost 16 years, and has won the George R. Brown Award for Superior Teaching three times.

Economics department introduces hires

The economics department hired several new professors for fall 2014, including Kenneth Wolpin, Flavio Cunha, Hulya Eraslan and Xun Tang. Wolpin chaired the economics department at the University of Pennsylvania and will fill the role of the Lay Family Chair in Economics at Rice. Cunha and Tang were both associate professors at the University of Pennsylvania, while Eraslan was an associate professor at John Hopkins University. Cunha, Eraslan and Tang joined Rice as part of the initiative to enhance research and teaching in economics.

BIOC merges with EBIO

Effective July 1, the biochemistry and cell biology department merged with the ecology and evolutionary biology department to create the Department of Biosciences, according to Howard Hughes Provost George McLendon. The course offerings, major advising and research opportunities remain unaffected. Professor of Biochemistry and Cell Biology Janet Braam will be the department chair. According to Braam, the merger allows faculty engaged in research and teaching to combine into a single department and act more synergistically.

Rossky becomes Dean of Weiss School

Peter Rossky became the new Dean of the Weiss School of Natural Sciences on August 1, according to Howard Hughes Provost George McLendon. Rossky previously served as a professor of chemical engineering at the University of Texas, Austin. Rossky is also on the editorial board of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.