CUC suspends drop proposal in face of SA opposition

By Amber Tong     9/17/14 5:10pm

Two weeks ago, Duncan College Senator Louis Lesser, Duncan President Mary Anderson and University Court Chair Brian Baran introduced legislation in response to a drop limit proposal by the Committee of Undergraduate Curriculum. In light of student concerns and the CUC’s changing attitudes, the team is pursuing a new focus for their legislation, according to Baran, a Duncan College senior.

Baran said the CUC has acknowledged the student body’s rejection of its original proposal and has suspended it.

“It sounds like the CUC has heard from multiple sources of student opinion … and basically there is no longer any support for the original CUC proposal,” Baran said. “That proposal is effectively dead.”

Despite the fact that CUC is no longer considering its original plan, Baran said it is still necessary to put forward formal legislative action.

“Ultimately, the idea is that the Student Senate and the student body still have strong opinions on this issue, and this is certainly an issue that needs to be discussed,” Baran said. “It’s still important to have a lasting record of students’ views on it.”

At the Student Association Senate meeting on Sept. 2, where the legislation was tabled, SA President Ravi Sheth said the wording of the proposed legislation might be antagonistic. 

“This is one of the most aggressively-worded pieces of legislation I have seen in my time in the SA,” Sheth said. 

Lovett College President Meghan Davenport said she is concerned about the message the legislation is getting across. 

“I think, as it is written right now, this just sets us up as putting out aggression when we just need to start a conversation,” Davenport said.

Baran said he, Anderson and Lesser are hoping to present and pass an amended version of the legislation at the next SA meeting.

“For next week, [Lesser], [Anderson] and I will be going back through the legislation and making amendments to get it in a form that can pass the Senate,” Baran said. “I am optimistic [about that].”

Baran said he understands the pertinence of the problems caused by students holding onto courses they are not intending to take. According to Baran, he, along with Anderson and Lesser, will explore different approaches to tackling the problems in a manner more specific than the suspended CUC proposal.

“We wanted to come up with some concrete alternatives that would better solve [problems caused by students not dropping courses promptly],” Baran said. “Unlike broader issues  … changes to the add/drop policy are something that can be implemented quickly and that can make an immediate impact to that particular kink in the process.”

Davenport, a senior, said she wishes to see more discussion between the students and the faculty in working out alternative solutions. 

“I hope that the [SA] appropriately expresses our desire to continue working with the faculty senate and the CUC in order to come up with a solution that works better for everyone involved,” Davenport said.