Friday, December 09, 2022 — Houston, TX

Rapper Doughbeezy visits Rice

By Reed Thornburg     4/24/14 2:16pm

The charismatic “Beast from the Southeast” rapper Doughbeezy will perform at Willy’s Pub on Thursday, April 24 for the final KTRU Beats and Beer event of the semester.

Although born in Cleveland, Ohio, Tai Carr moved to southeast Houston in his early teens. As a high school student, Carr began freestyle rapping with his friends on the football team, and from these early locker-room sessions his first rap group, the Headwreckas, formed. Doughbeezy, his decided moniker based on his earlier nickname Doughboy (Carr was apparently not always the fit person he is today), cites these early, informal rap battles and freestyle sessions as the first stage in the development

of his career.

While these rap battles impressed his classmates, it was not until around 2010 that Doughbeezy gained recognition in a broader context through his victories at weekly contests hosted by the local clothing store SF2. The buzz at these events was sufficient to get him on some early tours with Killa Kyleon, who performed at the previous Beats and Beer event. Around this time, he also released his first mixtape, No Money, No Conversation.

Doughbeezy releases all his own music and has decided to make it all available for free online.

“I’m trying to grow the brand,” Doughbeezy said. “Right now, I’m out to find more fans.”

Although his music is free, he believes this is the best way to make a career in the long term. He hopes to grow in popularity and then draw financially from other avenues, like merchandise sales and concerts.

Last year, Doughbeezy released his album titled Footprints on the Moon. He took the title from the country singer Paul Brandt’s song “There’s a World Out There.” According to Doughbeezy, the song serves as a personal motto.

“The song says ‘Don’t tell me the sky’s the limit, when there are footprints on the moon,’” Doughbeezy said. “For me, the sky is not the limit.”

And it appears he might be right. He has been featured by XXL magazine, and his collaboration record includes local heroes Bun B and Slim Thug and other rappers like the charting artist Kirko Bangz. He then went on to win the “Best Rapper in Texas Award” for three consecutive years, before they “retired him.” He has performed at South by Southwest and Free Press Summer Fest and has toured with rapper Dom Kennedy.

As the conversation on the role of regionalism in Houston hip-hop gets louder and louder, local rapper Doughbeezy does not appear to be phased by its implications.

“I’ve got my eyes on something bigger,” Doughbeezy said. “I’m looking to be the best rapper in Texas.”

Volleyball loses heartbreaker to Baylor in second round, ending season and NCAA tournament run

Rice volleyball’s season came to a close on Friday, as the No. 5 seed Owls lost a five set thriller to No. 4 seed Baylor University in the second round of the NCAA tournament (25-16, 22-25, 23-25, 25-14, 11-15). The loss ended the Owls tournament run and hopes at their first Sweet Sixteen berth in program history. After the game, head coach Genny Volpe was proud of her team despite the loss.

Football to face Southern Miss in LendingTree Bowl

It might not have been how they planned it, but Rice football is going to a bowl game. The Owls will take on the University of Southern Mississippi in the LendingTree Bowl, in Mobile, Alabama on Dec. 17. After finishing the season 5-7, one win shy of the mark needed to secure eligibility, Rice got an invite anyway when not enough teams reached six wins to fill every bowl game. The Owls topped all five-win teams in the tiebreaker, an academic performance metric called Academic Progress Rate.