Monday, September 26, 2022 — Houston, TX

News in Brief: Rice Acceptance Rate Reaches Record Low 14 Percent

By Rice Thresher Staff     4/15/14 3:43pm

For the incoming freshman class of 2018, the Rice University acceptance rate is at a record low of 14 percent, which is the lowest it has ever been, according to Vice President for Enrollment Chris Munoz. 

Munoz said there were 17,700 applicants, and he attributed the decrease in the acceptance rate to this 15 percent growth in the number of applicants compared to last year.

“The applicant pool was simply outstanding,” Munoz said. “There were a large number of [applicants] who have requested to be on the Rice waitlist, [approximately] 1,200.”

According to Munoz, the greatest growth for Rice applicants was seen in the number of  United States citizens, regardless of whether they were Texas residents or not. 

Munoz said the overall qualifying records of the applicants, such as their academic performance and test scores, were also an area of imporvement over last year.

“A number of our peer universities did not improve their applicant pools,” Munoz said. “Among those reported being down are: Harvard, Dartmouth, University of Chicago, Vanderbilt and Columbia.”

Munoz said there is currently no evidence that the acceptance rate will increase or decrease further in the near future.

Kevin Czachura, a Martel College freshman, said he hopes the decrease in the admission rate will boost Rice’s national profile.

“I’m from Indiana, and Rice is essentially unknown there,” Czachura said. “It would be great if people back home recognized the caliber of my university.”

However, Czachura also said that maintaining Rice’s status as a smaller, less well-known school is also important to take into consideration. 

“At the same time, part of Rice’s charm is that it is a relatively well-kept secret on a national scale,” Czachura said. 

Six computers, two iPads stolen from north campus

Rice University experienced a series of thefts this past week. Six laptops and two iPads were stolen from a Duncan College suite and Duncan Hall respectively, according to the Rice University Police Department in a campus-wide email sent out last Wednesday morning.

Inflation nation: Campus grapples with rising costs

As prices for various goods and services continue to rise nationally, student-run businesses and Rice departments such as Housing & Dining and Facilities Engineering & Planning are among those on campus implementing changes to handle this inflationary spike, while also working to keep prices reasonable for students.