Tuesday, September 27, 2022 — Houston, TX

SA Meeting Minutes

By Rice Thresher Staff     2/4/14 6:00pm

The following were noted at the meeting of the Student Association on Feb. 3.

• SA External VP Ravi Sheth announced that nominations for Mentor Recognition Award will be sent out. It will be voted on in the Feb. 24 meeting.
  • SA President Yoonjin Min asked the student body to take an upcoming survey for the CDC on dropping classes. It will be sent out at the end of the week.
  • Parliamentarian Brian Baran announced amendments to the proposed SA constitution, including tightening the blanket tax review timeline based on feedback from organizations and renaming the spring election to the second-round election.
  • Duncan College New Student Representative Jackie Olive and Sid Richardson College NSR Daniel Zhang presented for the SA academics committee. Current projects include: evaluating study-abroad culture and creating an ambassador program, personalizing of O-Week advising, creating a creative writing minor, offering classes for more languages, and balancing flexibility and structure for the policy studies major.
  • McMurtry College NSR Madhuri Venkateswar presented for the environmental committee. Current projects include: teaching bikers safety and increasing rack convenience, introducing low-flow showerheads in colleges, reviewing recycling bins placements around campus, changing bus braking systems and installing LED lights in colleges.
  • Min reminded the Senate that next week's meeting begins at 8:30 p.m to allow the SA presidential debate to begin at 9 p.m
  • Sid Richardson Senator Alex Nunez-Thompson announced an upcoming Sid musical.
  • Min reminded that the 100 Days celebration is this Thursday, Feb. 6.

The Senate will next meet Monday, Feb. 10 in Farnsworth Pavilion at 8:30 p.m.

Six computers, two iPads stolen from north campus

Rice University experienced a series of thefts this past week. Six laptops and two iPads were stolen from a Duncan College suite and Duncan Hall respectively, according to the Rice University Police Department in a campus-wide email sent out last Wednesday morning.

Inflation nation: Campus grapples with rising costs

As prices for various goods and services continue to rise nationally, student-run businesses and Rice departments such as Housing & Dining and Facilities Engineering & Planning are among those on campus implementing changes to handle this inflationary spike, while also working to keep prices reasonable for students.