Friday, December 09, 2022 — Houston, TX

Winter TV premieres to mixed reviews

By Rachel Marcus     1/13/14 6:00pm

I really wanted to like Intelligence. Any show that features a well-known, good-looking actor as a spy figure working to save the world through pure intellect pretty much has me sold even before the pilot airs. Unfortunately, Intelligence falls short in comparison to its predecessors Sherlock and Chuck. While Chuck also told the story of a spy with a computer implanted into his brain, the former show boasted strong characters and a wonderful balance of drama and comedy. In contrast, Intelligence has only flat characters with simple motivations and "complicated" pasts so far.

The main character and human-turned-computer Gabriel (Josh Holloway, Lost) works on saving the world while searching for his potentially murderous wife who disappeared five years ago, but I am already convinced he should be with his new handler Riley (Meghan Ory, Once Upon a Time) and therefore care very little about his supposed internal motivation. Riley, meanwhile, is an accomplished former Secret Service agent with a complicated past who unfortunately already revealed her big secret, making me lose interest in her character. While the show features some mystery and some minor characters that could prove to be entertaining, this newbie will have to buff up its characters' plots and pasts before I become interested again.

Volleyball loses heartbreaker to Baylor in second round, ending season and NCAA tournament run

Rice volleyball’s season came to a close on Friday, as the No. 5 seed Owls lost a five set thriller to No. 4 seed Baylor University in the second round of the NCAA tournament (25-16, 22-25, 23-25, 25-14, 11-15). The loss ended the Owls tournament run and hopes at their first Sweet Sixteen berth in program history. After the game, head coach Genny Volpe was proud of her team despite the loss.

Football to face Southern Miss in LendingTree Bowl

It might not have been how they planned it, but Rice football is going to a bowl game. The Owls will take on the University of Southern Mississippi in the LendingTree Bowl, in Mobile, Alabama on Dec. 17. After finishing the season 5-7, one win shy of the mark needed to secure eligibility, Rice got an invite anyway when not enough teams reached six wins to fill every bowl game. The Owls topped all five-win teams in the tiebreaker, an academic performance metric called Academic Progress Rate.