Tuesday, September 27, 2022 — Houston, TX

News in Brief: Spanish Course Revisions

By Rice Thresher Staff     1/27/14 6:00pm

The professional Spanish courses cancelled for this semester will be available again in the fall, according to Dean of Humanities Nicolas Shumway and Director of the Center for the Study of Languages Rafael Salaberry. At the Jan. 27 Student Senate meeting, Lovett College President Christian Neal and Will Rice College Senator Cynthia Bau reported that Shumway and Salaberry thought the core of the cancelled courses did not meet Rice standards and are currently being revised to include an emphasis in linguistics and correct usage rather than vocabulary memorization. Interest has been expressed in connecting students with internships and other opportunities through these professional classes. For more information, visit sa.rice.edu/petitions.

Six computers, two iPads stolen from north campus

Rice University experienced a series of thefts this past week. Six laptops and two iPads were stolen from a Duncan College suite and Duncan Hall respectively, according to the Rice University Police Department in a campus-wide email sent out last Wednesday morning.

Inflation nation: Campus grapples with rising costs

As prices for various goods and services continue to rise nationally, student-run businesses and Rice departments such as Housing & Dining and Facilities Engineering & Planning are among those on campus implementing changes to handle this inflationary spike, while also working to keep prices reasonable for students.