Friday, February 23, 2024 — Houston, TX

News In Brief: Startup Career Fair postponed

By Zara Khan     1/28/14 6:00pm

The cold weather that caused the closure of the Rice University campus also resulted in the cancellation of the Startup Career Fair.

According to its website, the event, originally scheduled to take place Friday, Jan. 24 at the Rice Memorial Center, was to feature keynote remarks from Allison Lami Sawyer, CEO of Rebellion Photonics, followed by a pitch for talent and an open career fair.

The fair was to be hosted jointly by the Rice Alliance for Technology and Entrepreneurship, enventure, the Entrepreneurship Club and Rice Launch. The website states that the Planning Committee is meeting to reschedule the event and will provide further information when available.

For more information, visit www.startupcareerfairhtx.com.

SA presidential debate centers around budget

Student Association presidential candidates Jae Kim and Trevor Tobey discussed their vision for the presidency and the SA at the Thresher’s SA debate on Monday, Feb. 19. Candidates for secretary and treasurer, the other contested elections, also took the stage during the night.

Condoleezza Rice visits Rice University

Condoleezza Rice, a former United States secretary of state and national security advisor under President George W. Bush, came to Rice to speak with David Satterfield, the director of the Baker Institute, as a part of the Shell Distinguished Lecture Series Feb. 15. 

Community members protest Condoleezza Rice event at Baker Institute

Students and community members gathered in the Central Quad Feb. 15 to protest Condoleezza Rice, former secretary of state and national security advisor to George W. Bush, coming to campus, demanding that the university “divest from death.” A Houston Police Department officer at the protest estimated nearly 100 protesters were in attendance throughout.