Friday, February 23, 2024 — Houston, TX

News in Brief: 26 New trees planted around campus

By Dixita Viswanath     1/28/14 6:00pm

On Jan. 25, 2014, the Facilities Engineering and Planning celebrated Arbor Day by planting 26 trees around Rice's campus, FE&P's Manager of Communications Susann Glenn said.

This year, FE&P planted 20 post oak trees and six sawtooth oak trees directly behind Martel College, near the Master's house and in the retention area directly across from Wiess College, according to Glenn. Another event celebrating Arbor Day will take place November 2014.

Rice's campus makes up the Lynn R. Lowrey Arboretum, which was dedicated in 1999. The arboretum maintains numerous projects across campus that furthers its mission to create a teaching and research resource, according to the arboretum's website. Glenn said the university will keep the environment on the forefront of the Rice community's mind.

"Rice continues to commemorate Arbor Day every year by planting more trees; however, this is not the only time during the year that we plant trees," Glenn said. "Our dedicated team of three arborists are constantly caring for more than 4,700 trees on campus."

The Grounds and Sustainability department within FE&P worked closely with the Arbor Day Foundation and the Texas Forest Service to ensure the species of trees planted would survive in this community, Glenn said.

According to Glenn, the purpose of replanting trees in such an event is to diversify the types of trees on campus, introduce young trees to replace the old and dying ones and to help educate volunteers about the benefits of trees in an urban environment.

The entire Rice community was invited to participate in this event.

SA presidential debate centers around budget

Student Association presidential candidates Jae Kim and Trevor Tobey discussed their vision for the presidency and the SA at the Thresher’s SA debate on Monday, Feb. 19. Candidates for secretary and treasurer, the other contested elections, also took the stage during the night.

Condoleezza Rice visits Rice University

Condoleezza Rice, a former United States secretary of state and national security advisor under President George W. Bush, came to Rice to speak with David Satterfield, the director of the Baker Institute, as a part of the Shell Distinguished Lecture Series Feb. 15. 

Community members protest Condoleezza Rice event at Baker Institute

Students and community members gathered in the Central Quad Feb. 15 to protest Condoleezza Rice, former secretary of state and national security advisor to George W. Bush, coming to campus, demanding that the university “divest from death.” A Houston Police Department officer at the protest estimated nearly 100 protesters were in attendance throughout.