News in Brief: 26 New trees planted around campus

By Dixita Viswanath     1/28/14 6:00pm

On Jan. 25, 2014, the Facilities Engineering and Planning celebrated Arbor Day by planting 26 trees around Rice's campus, FE&P's Manager of Communications Susann Glenn said.

This year, FE&P planted 20 post oak trees and six sawtooth oak trees directly behind Martel College, near the Master's house and in the retention area directly across from Wiess College, according to Glenn. Another event celebrating Arbor Day will take place November 2014.

Rice's campus makes up the Lynn R. Lowrey Arboretum, which was dedicated in 1999. The arboretum maintains numerous projects across campus that furthers its mission to create a teaching and research resource, according to the arboretum's website. Glenn said the university will keep the environment on the forefront of the Rice community's mind.

"Rice continues to commemorate Arbor Day every year by planting more trees; however, this is not the only time during the year that we plant trees," Glenn said. "Our dedicated team of three arborists are constantly caring for more than 4,700 trees on campus."

The Grounds and Sustainability department within FE&P worked closely with the Arbor Day Foundation and the Texas Forest Service to ensure the species of trees planted would survive in this community, Glenn said.

According to Glenn, the purpose of replanting trees in such an event is to diversify the types of trees on campus, introduce young trees to replace the old and dying ones and to help educate volunteers about the benefits of trees in an urban environment.

The entire Rice community was invited to participate in this event.