Friday, May 24, 2024 — Houston, TX

SA Meeting Minutes

By Rice Thresher Staff     11/12/13 6:00pm

The following were noted at the meeting of the Student Association on Nov. 11.

• Brown College Senator Larisa LaMere and Transfer Student Association President Ryan Kim reintroduced Senate Resolution No. 5, which supports guaranteeing on-campus housing for first-year transfer students. The Senate amended the resolution to support including First Year Programs in discussions regarding implementation of the proposal. The Senate passed the resolution.
  • McMurtry College Senator Gabriel Teo introduced a resolution in support of creating an Orientation Week international student liaison position at each college. The resolution states the Office of International Student Services should provide funding and guidance for this program. The Senate plans to vote on the resolution Dec. 2. Send questions or comments to gabriel.teo@rice.edu.

The SA will next meet Monday, Nov. 18 in Farnsworth Pavilion at 9 p.m.

Jones School breaks ground on new expansion, final project to wrap up spring 2026

The Jones Graduate School of Business will expand its building, constructing an additional 95,000 square feet around McNair Hall. Rice Business announced blueprint plans for the new $54.5 million building at its groundbreaking May 9. The new building will include multiple large classrooms, lecture halls, dining facilities, event spaces and communal areas, designed to “blend seamlessly with the campus and its surroundings.”

Audrey’s closes in advance of Jones School expansion

After four years of operation in McNair Hall, Audrey’s closed May 10 prior to the Jones Graduate School of Business expansion. The original Audrey’s space will be cleaved by a wall during construction, Niken Prabanto, co-owner of Greenway Coffee Company, which oversees Audrey’s, said.